An “outgoing” woman whose death sparked a murder probe died as a result of alcohol intoxication, an inquest has heard.

A man, believed to be Marie Nash’s husband Crispin, was arrested on suspicion of her murder after she was found dead on the floor at her Beaconsfield home on the morning of October 29.

Police were initially suspicious that Marie, 40, had a neck injury – but a post-mortem revealed she had no such injuries and the arrested man was released with no further action.

At the time of the field marketer’s death, she was nearly five times over the drink-drive limit, with 384mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. The legal limit to drive is 80mg per 100ml.

An inquest into her death at Buckinghamshire Coroner’s Court on Wednesday – which was attended by her husband – heard how the night before she was found dead, Marie had called her mum and was “extremely drunk and incoherent”.

A statement from Sandra Jones, Marie’s mum, said Marie had called her on the evening of October 28 saying her and Crispin had been arguing before she hung up.

Heartbreakingly, Sandra and husband Martin were alerted to Marie’s death the next morning when one of her young children called them to say “mummy is cold on the floor”.

They immediately got in the car to go to Marie and Crispin’s home in Hyde Green, where police and paramedics were already present and refused to let them inside.

They were then told Marie had passed away.

Sandra’s statement added: “Marie would confide in me a lot when she was drunk and had an argument with Crispin – she would say she wanted a divorce.”

The court heard in a statement from police that Marie and Crispin had been drinking gin the evening before her death but at around 8.30pm, her mood had “changed” and the couple had argued and Marie decided she would sleep on the sofa.

The next morning, Crispin was up early – around 5am – to get one of their children ready for a school trip when he found his wife’s body on the floor in the lounge. She had sadly passed away and there were no lifesaving opportunities.

Police say she was laying in an “awkward” position on her back which made them think she may have had a neck injury – but this was dismissed during a post-mortem.

Her cause of death was recorded as acute alcohol intoxication.

Senior coroner for Buckinghamshire Crispin Butler said Marie’s death was a “tragic” incident and there was no suggestion she had tried to end her own life.

Of the initial police investigation, he said: “Police investigated as they always would but ultimately there was nothing untoward. It is a very sad set of circumstances and nothing was unusual or suspicious. There was no evidence of any blunt force trauma.

“Acute alcohol intoxication can result in death. It was a tragic event that has occurred here. Any concerns there were about the scene or circumstances disappeared because of the medical cause of death.”