A Wooburn Green motorist admitted drunk driving just two weeks before he killed a 13-year-old schoolboy while over five times the drug-drive limit and was on Wednesday disqualified from driving for 20 months.

James Lavine already had an appalling record of driving offences before he got behind the wheel of a red Audi TT and mowed down young Max Simmons, who died in hospital just four days before Christmas.

He had also been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving on December 7 last year and was on bail at the time when he drove into Max two weeks later, on Switchback Road North in Maidenhead.

ALSO READ: Drug-driver jailed for killing 13-year-old as he crossed the road

The motorist had denied the drink-driving offence until October 14, when he changed his plea and admitted one count of driving a motor vehicle while above the alcohol limit.

Reading magistrates heard how Lavine was driving another Audi TT, this time in black, along Ferry Lane in Cookham when he crashed into a wall. Just five hours earlier on the same morning, Lavine had been caught by a speed camera doing 50mph in a 30mph zone at just before 4am.

When the 35-year-old was arrested, police found he had 77 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, over three times the drink-drive limit.

Lavine, of Boundary Road, Wooburn Green, denied being the driver and was released on bail but he got back behind the wheel two weeks later and killed Max Simmons.

After the fatal crash he was found to have consumed cocaine - he later tested positive for having 252mcg of Benzoylecgonine, a breakdown product of cocaine, over five times the legal limit of 50mcg - Cocaethylene (formed when cocaine and alcohol are mixed), three different anti-depressants and THC, indicating he had smoked cannabis.

ALSO READ: Boy, 13, killed in car crash just days before Christmas - man charged

Reading magistrates, after hearing about the history of his offence, fined Lavine £120, ordered he pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £32, and disqualified him from driving for a further 20 months.

Lavine, who appeared by live video link from prison, was not given any extra jail time nor was he ordered to pay court costs as he had no means to pay, the magistrates decided.

The father initially denied killing young Max on December 21 last year, stating to police that the boy had run out into the road and adding: "Do not get me wrong, I am not a saint, but this one was genuinely an accident."

ALSO READ: MP seeks justice for three people killed by dangerous drivers

He later admitted causing Max's death by his careless driving - after experts discovered the Audi TT car collided with Max after some braking at a speed of between 46 to 49mph, so he would have been speeding on the 40mph road before the crash - and was jailed for six years and nine months by a judge at Reading Crown Court, who also disqualified him from driving for 10 years.

Prosecutors told how Lavine had a string of previous driving convictions, including driving with excess alcohol in 2005 and 2008, driving while disqualified and uninsured in 2008, taking a vehicle without consent, driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol in 2009.

Judge Angela Morris, sentencing Lavine in July, had lambasted him for continuing to claim he had taken cocaine three days before the crash, stating the evidence against him was clear.