This month marks the 46th anniversary of the Birmingham pub bombings, which killed 21 people – including a retail assistant from Iver Heath.

Thomas ‘Tom’ Chaytor, 28, worked at Willoughby Tailoring and was also a part-time barman.

Adopted as a child, he was a divorcee and father-of-two who, three weeks before the bombs, had started a job on the bar at the Tavern to earn extra money, his then fiancée Susan Hands said.

He died of his injuries on November 27, a week after the blast.

A 65-year-old man who was arrested and held in connection with the murders of the 21 people, has been released.

The arrest on Wednesday came just days before the 46th anniversary of the two deadly November 21 blasts, which ripped apart the Mulberry Bush and Tavern In The Town pubs.

The individual was arrested at an address in Belfast on Wednesday morning by officers from West Midlands Police assisted by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).

He was arrested under the Terrorism Act and taken to Musgrave Street PSNI custody block in the city, while searches continued at his address throughout the day.

West Midlands Police said he was interviewed under caution at a police station in Northern Ireland but was released after a search of his home was carried out.

Detective Chief Superintendent Kenny Bell, head of Counter Terrorism Policing West Midlands CTU, said: "We are committed to finding those responsible for the terrible murders of 21 innocent victims almost 46 years ago.

"Let me assure families of the victims and the people of Birmingham that we're working relentlessly to find the bombers and bring them to justice."

At an inquest into the bombings last year, a jury concluded a botched IRA warning call on the night led to 21 people being unlawfully killed.

The bungled West Midlands Police inquiry in the immediate aftermath of the bombings led to the wrongful convictions of the Birmingham Six, one of the worst miscarriages of justice in legal history.

They were freed in 1991 after their convictions were quashed.