Residents in Bucks are being asked to correctly recycle their electrical goods in order to prevent fires.

This comes after firefighters were called out to Padbury in Buckingham when one of Buckinghamshire Council’s waste vehicles caught fire on Monday, January 18.

READ MORE: Police find child in car boot during tail lights check

It has been determined that the fire was caused by an Xbox controller.

Nobody was injured and the fire was quickly put out by firefighters.

In a lengthy statement that was published by Buckinghamshire Council, they said: “While unwanted batteries and small electrical items can be recycled, it’s vital that they are not put into general waste or recycling bins as they can ignite and cause a fire.

“Across Buckinghamshire, batteries can be recycled at the kerbside if placed inside a standard carrier bag and then left on top of the resident’s recycling bin.

“These will then be collected by council crews on the day they normally empty the bin.”

Bucks Free Press: Padbury is in Buckingham Padbury is in Buckingham

They also revealed that items such as hairdryers, straighteners, electric toothbrushes, games controllers, mobile phones/charges, and small electrical power tools should be disposed of at your nearest recycling centre.

READ MORE: Man with links to Buckinghamshire is wanted by police over 'burglary connection'

Alternatively, residents can arrange for items to be collected, for a fee, using the council’s bulky waste collection services.

Station Commander, Steve Cook, of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service said: “Fires in waste trucks place firefighters at risk from a wide variety of hazards, not only from the fire and smoke but also from the waste material itself.

"Often these fires begin deep in the load and smoulder undetected and may only be discovered when the load is transferred at the waste depot.

“Fires involving batteries and discarded electrical appliances have a significant impact on our resources – the average waste truck fire takes eight firefighters around three hours to deal with.

Should the fire involve the waste depot itself then the fire can last for several days, requiring 30 or more firefighters.

“However, if residents recycle correctly, these fires can be avoided in the future.”

Bill Chapple OBE, Buckinghamshire Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment and Climate Change, then added: “First, I would like to say thank you for the swift action of our crews and the local Fire Service in dealing with this incident.

Bucks Free Press: It's believed that an Xbox controller caused the fire (stock photo)It's believed that an Xbox controller caused the fire (stock photo)

“Fortunately, no one was hurt and those involved responded safely, quickly, and efficiently to keep things under control.

“However, these fires are concerning but easily avoidable.

READ MORE: Ex-Bucks resident James Corden takes aim at President Trump with Les Mis parody

I would ask all Buckinghamshire residents looking to dispose of small electrical devices, batteries and gas canisters (the most common culprits of waste vehicle fires) to please visit the Recycle for Buckinghamshire website so they can do so correctly.

“This will help prevent any future waste vehicle fires.”