An investigation has been launched into the death of a man who was arrested and taken to hospital.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating Thames Valley Police's contact before the man, 24, from Milton Keynes, died.

The IOPC has so far established the man was detained by officers on the morning of Wednesday, January 27, after they were called out to reports of a disturbance.

The man was then taken to Milton Keynes Hospital by ambulance after medical concerns were raised to police.

Evidence gathered by the IOPC indicated that as the man was being discharged into police custody later that day, there was an incident that led to him being restrained by officers.

READ MORE: Two cars are seized in the same evening after both drivers are caught with no insurance

After being taken to a police vehicle, he suffered a cardiac arrest and was returned to the hospital where he was placed in an induced coma.

The IOPC was notified by the force and sent an investigator to the police post incident procedure before declaring an independent investigation on 28 January.

The man sadly died on Tuesday, February 2.

The coroner has been informed and an inquest is due to take place in due course.

IOPC regional director Graham Beesley said: “I would like to send my condolences to the man’s family and everyone else affected by his death at this difficult and sad time.

“We have a duty to investigate in these circumstances and, in particular, we are looking at the contact that police officers had with the man prior his death.

READ MORE: Police make voluntary referral to IOPC following arrest of man in High Wycombe

“We have contacted the family to explain our role and we will keep them regularly updated throughout our enquiries.”

So far investigators have gathered police body worn video for review, hospital CCTV footage and had initial accounts obtained from officers.

A TVP spokesman said: “Our thoughts remain with the man’s family at this very difficult time, who are being supported by the IOPC.

“Thames Valley Police has been fully co-operating with the investigation from the outset and will continue to do so.

“This incident is being investigated independently, as such it would not be appropriate for us to offer further comment at this time.”