A Fred Onyedinma header gave Wycombe a valuable three points in their quest for survival, as they defeated Gareth Ainsworth’s boyhood club, Blackburn Rovers, 1-0 at Adams Park.

A shadow of the performance when Wanderers last played Rovers at Ewood Park in September, the Chairboys were by far the better side throughout the match and deserved the three points.

Wycombe started off the first-half the better side and with the way they were moving the ball, you wouldn’t think they were bottom of the table.

READ MORE: Live at Adams Park: Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Blackburn Rovers: Fred Onyedimna scores with a header

Blackburn couldn’t get to grips with the pace of Wanderers’ tempo as Anis Mehmeti and Onyedinma were pulling the strings for the home side.

This was evident after six minutes when the young Albanian attacker ran at the Rovers backline, cut inside on his right foot and his thunderous effort was goal bound, but, his shot was blocked by Darragh Lenihan.

Wanderers continued to pin back Tony Mowbray’s men as moments later, Uche Ikpeazu, who made his debut for Wycombe in the 5-0 thrashing back in September, scuffed his effort from inside the six-yard box which was blocked Joe Rankin-Costello.

Better connection and Wycombe would have been 1-0 up.

It was then Onyedinma's turn to have a crack at the Blackburn goal, but his shot was brilliantly blocked by Tom Trybull, as the Wycombe wave of shots continued.

All these efforts happened before the match was 15 minutes old.

However, Wanderers were dealt a huge blow when Dom Gape went down injured with no one around him in the middle of the park, and after six minutes of treatment, the former Southampton man was stretched off to be replaced by Dennis Adeniran.

READ MORE: Fan's view: How Wycombe could look at Leicester City for survival inspiration

Gape has only played 16 matches in all competitions this season.

The stoppage in play came at the worse time for the home side as they were the better outfir, but, when play restarted, Wycombe continued their dominance as on 19 minutes, Joe Jacobson’s inswinging corner was headed over the bar by Admiral Muskwe from just a yard out.

It wasn’t until the 32nd minute of the match when Blackburn had their first effort on goal which came from right-back Joe Rankin-Costello, whose first time shot from 20-yards was saved by David Stockdale.

Going into half-time at 0-0, the stalemate flattered Blackburn.

The second half was a continuation of the first as Wycombe were in Blackburn’s faces, and their forward approach finally paid off.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth on the rumours linking him to the Preston job

After Mehmeti’s shot was blocked out for a corner by the on-loan Man City defender, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Joe Jacobson took the resulting set-piece.

Another inswinging corner flew into the Blackburn box and there was Fred Onyedimna to leap like a salmon to head it past Thomas Kaminski from eight-yards.

It was his fourth goal of the season – his second in the league.

Mehmeti had another effort on goal which was again blocked by the Blackburn defence, but Wycombe held on to win only their seventh league match this season.

They are now on 30 points with seven games remaining, and the Great Escape could be on the cards, as they face Rotherham on Easter Monday.