A former RAF airman and police officer who secretly installed a camera in a bathroom and took sexual images of his victims in their home has avoided jail.

Anthony Cope, aged 57, of Heather Close, Carterton, was given a 16-week prison sentence suspended for two years at High Wycombe Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Cope had pleaded guilty to two counts of voyeurism – recording a private act, one count of voyeurism – installing equipment, and one count of observing a person doing a private act.

The court heard how Cope, who used to be in the RAF and is a former police officer for Thames Valley Police, targeted three victims at a property in Buckinghamshire between January 7 and March 23.

The prosecutor, Laura Jones, told the court that two of the victims noticed a flash outside their bedroom window one evening. A few weeks later, the defendant was spotted trying to take a photo through a gap in the curtains.

After he was arrested at the end of March, police found several images and videos on Cope’s two phones showing three victims in states of undress and taking part in sexual activity.

It was also discovered that Cope had installed a secret camera in the bathroom of two of his victims, which he had used to capture inappropriate and sexual footage of them without their knowledge.

Reading out a statement from one of the victims, Ms Jones said: “I have been through every emotion and felt nothing whatsoever.

“I feel so much hate and anger towards him, I hope he goes to prison and feels the pain I feel.

“I can’t go to the toilet or shower without feeling like I am being watched.”

Another victim came to the court and read a statement from behind a screen.

She said: “He has chosen to use us for his sick habit. I wonder how long ago this started.

“I have been signed off sick by work and never had this much time off. I have been referred to a counsellor and not been sleeping.”

Representing Cope, defence lawyer Ruth Williams revealed that her client suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder after he was injured by an improvised explosive device in 2006, and called for the magistrates to recognise his past service to his country.

She said: “He has shown full acceptance of his own wrongdoing and understands the impact of his actions on the victims involved.

“He couldn’t be more remorseful for his actions.

“He has served his country, he was in the RAF, Border Force and Thames Valley Police.

"He has done more than most to serve the common good.”

Cope was handed a 16-week suspended prison sentence for each of the voyeurism – recording a private act charges, an eight-week sentence for the voyeurism – installing equipment charge and eight weeks for the observing a person doing a private act charge. All four sentences will run at the same time.

He will also have to complete 250 hours of unpaid work, has been added to the sexual offenders register for five years and given a five-year sexual harm prevention order.

He was also issued with three restraining orders and told to pay costs of £213.