A “brute” who tried to kill his partner by pinning her down and stabbing her in the neck and chest has been jailed for 20 years.

Anthony Bignall, 38, held down his long-time girlfriend and said “I’m sorry” before stabbing her in the neck while the pair were together in their home. He then attempted to kill himself, slicing his own throat and slitting his wrists.

His victim, Natasha Hollins, managed to escape and ran to the bathroom, calling 999 and screaming that he had “gone psycho” and that she was “so scared.”

READ MORE: High Wycombe’s most crime-stricken streets revealed

Bignall, of Mount Nugent in Chesham, appeared at Aylesbury Crown Court yesterday (Thursday) where he pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

Sentencing, Judge Francis Sheridan called Bignall a “brute” as he sentenced him to a 20-year extended sentence.

The court heard from prosecutor Nigel Ogborne how on February 2, at around 2pm, the defendant and victim were at home together when Bignall locked the back door, shut the living room curtains, and sat down next to Ms Hollins.

According to Mr Ogborne, the pair were chatting when Bignall leaned over to his victim, straddling her with his legs, before saying “I’m sorry”.

He then produced a serrated knife with a foot-long blade from his trousers, where it had been hidden within a makeshift sheath made from a cereal box, and he held her face down with one hand as he stabbed and slashed her repeatedly with the other.

READ MORE: Body of man in his sixties found on School Lane, Seer Green

The court heard how the knife was used with such force that one blow, which connected with Ms Hollins’s breast bone, caused the knife to bend completely out of shape.

The court heard how after Ms Hollins escaped to the bathroom, both she and her assailant called 999.

When police arrived, Bignall opened the door with a knife in his hand. Officers tasered him as they entered the property, and body-worn camera footage played in the court showed they found Ms Hollins in the bathroom, covered in blood, and performed first aid on her while paramedics arrived.

Ms Hollins was taken to John Radcliffe hospital where she was treated for multiple stab wounds. She is recovering, but still bears the scars from the attack.

Defence lawyer John Lamb, representing Bignall, told the court that his client “couldn’t be more remorseful” and that he was struggling with mental health issues, including depression, at the time.

READ MORE: Motorcyclist in his forties dies after crash with HGV

He also told the court how Bignall had only intended to kill himself with the knife that day, and that he stopped the assaulting "quickly" after starting the attack.

Sentencing, Judge Francis Sheridan said: “She [Ms Hollins] was treated by paramedics and she begged them not to let her die.

“You said ‘Tasha, I’m sorry’, and then you took the knife and plunged it into her neck and you held her face as you did it.

“She got to the floor and you kept attacking her, forcing her mouth open. You were a brute.

“You have left her scarred for life.”

As well as the prison sentence, Bignall was also issued with a restraining order.

  • The free, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline is 0808 2000 247

For more of the latest court and crime news from around Bucks, be sure to sign up to the FREE weekly Crime & Court Catch Up

And don’t forget to join the NEW Bucks Crime And Court Watch group on Facebook to keep up with breaking crime news and the latest outcomes from courts across the county