UPDATE: David Lloyd in Wooburn Green reopens after chemical incident

A gym had to be evacuated in Wooburn Green this afternoon after a "chemical incident" left four people needing hospital treatment. 

Police, fire crews and ambulances were called to David Lloyd Beaconsfield in Glory Mill Lane in Wooburn Green early this afternoon after two chemicals were mixed, causing a chemical reaction. 

South Central Ambulance Service said four people were assessed and treated for non-life threatening injuries and were taken to Wexham Park Hospital. 

The emergency services appeared to be down the left-hand side of the main building and the incident did not affect the traffic on Glory Mill Lane. 

There has been ongoing improvement works at the gym for a while now, including on the swimming pool, but it has not been confirmed if the chemical incident related to the works. 

Bucks Fire and Rescue said fire crews from Beaconsfield, High Wycombe, Windsor Tinkers Lane and Gerrards Cross, along with a support unit from Marlow, rushed to the scene at around 12pm. 

Two chemicals had been mixed, causing a reaction, and the site had to be cordoned off and evacuated. 

Fire crews used breathing apparatus and gauntlets (gloves) to remove a 25-litre chemical container and ventilated the area to help clear fumes. 

A plant room was closed off and the incident left with the site owners to arrange for the mixed chemicals to be removed. 

In a message to members, David Lloyd said: "The club is currently temporarily closed. We will send a further update soon. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "Thames Valley Police have been supporting Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service at an incident in Glory Mill Lane, Wooburn Green, that was reported to the force at 12.07pm.

"Our officers have now left the scene and further information will be provided by Bucks Fire and Rescue Service in due course."

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman added: "We were called at 12:10 to reports of a chemical incident. 

"We sent to the scene two ambulance crews, two ambulance officers and the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and they were assessing and treating four patients for non-life threatening injuries. 

"Following treatment at the scene by all our crews the patients were taken to Wexham Park Hospital."