A woman has paid tribute to her “funny and intelligent” brother who jumped into the path of a train in Seer Green – and slammed mental health services for not recognising the “serious situation” he was in before he took his own life.

Lee Broderick, 43, died of multiple injuries after being hit by a train at Seer Green railway station on April 1 after battling with a string of mental health conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and anxiety, an inquest into his death heard on Tuesday.

It is unclear why Lee, from Lewisham, was in the area the day he died or what he had been doing the day before his death.

The inquest, at Buckinghamshire Coroners Court in Beaconsfield, heard how Lee – described by his sister Jennifer as “kind and giving” – had been having issues with a neighbour at his home in Lewisham.

He said he was being “tormented” by a neighbour who was playing low frequency noise through a sub-woofer and had broken the neighbour’s window to find it, which led to him being arrested and given an injunction preventing him from returning.

The injunction meant he needed to find somewhere else to live, but he was finding the process stressful.

Dr Stephen Goggins, psychologist at the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, which provides services for those with mental health problems or addictions, said Lee had been engaging with them for many years and had made “excellent progress” between 2012 and 2019, abstaining from drugs and alcohol, getting his life back on track and working with the Trust’s recovery college as a peer support volunteer.

But Dr Goggins said issues began to arise again due to an ongoing dispute with his neighbour in 2020.

In 2020, Lee had been voluntarily sectioned but in September, he was found “laying on the grass” in Marlow, having left the mental health facility he was at in London and getting on a train.

Dr Paul Keedwell, adult psychiatrist at the Trust added that Lee was “under stress” and “sensitive to noise from his neighbour”. He added that he would “often move out of the area when particularly distressed” which led to difficulties making contact with him.

Dr Keedwell said by March 2021, Lee was starting to present as “paranoid and psychotic” and was struggling to “see a way out” of his situation, although he was trying to find somewhere new to live.

Sister Jennifer said she was “very concerned” about the care Lee was receiving before his death, saying: “It just wasn’t really there.”

Despite claims from mental health professionals that Lee was difficult to contact and had been reluctant to give his mobile phone number to them, she insisted he was “making it very clear it was a serious situation”.

She told the inquest: “He wasn’t being listened to. I found it very difficult to make contact with anyone. I tried to speak to everyone in his life – his care worker, his GP, I couldn’t reach anyone.

“He wasn’t always contactable but he did make himself available a lot.”

She also criticised his care worker, who she said was “reactive, not proactive” and was “difficult to deal with”.

She added: “She was defensive – I find that a lot in the system – and it seemed like they were just passing him around. [Lee] did make an effort. He was making a lot of phone calls that went unanswered.”

She also said he was “constantly trying” to speak with the local authority about finding suitable housing.

Following Lee’s death, several changes have been made at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.

Wendy Dewhirst, who presented a report on behalf of the hospital at the inquest, said a multi-agency risk forum had been set up for teams to identify and discuss high risk patients, further risk management training was being given to staff and a system to enable better communication with service users was being set up.

Assistant Buckinghamshire coroner Nick Graham concluded that Lee’s death was suicide, saying: “The evidence shows there was no third party involved. He had a history of mental health concerns. On April 1, 2021, he took his own life by jumping into the path of a train. He sadly died at the scene.”

Addressing Jennifer, who attended the inquest, Mr Graham said: “I sincerely offer my condolences to you and your wider family.”

For confidential support in the UK, call the Samaritans on 116123, email jo@samaritans.org or visit a local Samaritans branch. See samaritans.org for more details.