The drama and gossip around the Amersham KFC continues – while the shop is yet to open.

This time the upcoming fried chicken shop on Amersham-on-the-Hill suffered a fire in the fuse board on Thursday (May 12).

People took to social media after reports of smoke coming out of a fuse box at the shop’s building site on Sycamore Road in the former Lloyds TSB property.

Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that one appliance and fire crews from Beaconsfield, High Wycombe and Gerrards Cross with one officer attended the site.

READ MORE: Sycamore Road Carpark fails drivers

They said: “A fire, in the fuse board of a commercial property, was out before they arrived.”

To make sure the fire was out and the shop safe, the firefighters used a thermal imaging camera.

Comments on social media said the site didn’t have a fire extinguisher, and they had to borrow one from Pizza Express next door.

One comment said: “Their fire alarm wasn’t even going off – I guess nothing’s set up yet properly.

“I peaked inside when the door was open a few hours before, and then only thing there was done was that the walls were decorated.”

In March, a KFC “to be serving our delicious fried chicken just in time for summer,” leaving the town’s fried chicken fans and critics in anticipation.

Previously the ‘finger lickin’ good’ brand was the talk of town, when the opening of the Sycamore Road shop was delayed in December.

The reasons for the initial delay were unclear, but social media rumours suggested “electrical issues” in the shop.

In April, a social media post appeared advertising for a full-time chef’s position for £9.5/hour wage.

Many social commentators doubted whether the shop could open as soon as on Monday following the fire.

READ MORE: Bucks Big Community Takeaway tackles hunger

One commentator added: “It’s all ok and as far as my son knows it is still opening on Monday he has a job there.”

Another said: “I have a feeling that this outlet is going to provide lots of entertainment over the coming months.”

A KFC spokesperson commented on the fire: "Operating responsibly is our number one priority and all our restaurants are equipped with fire extinguishers. 

"The recent fire at our Amersham coop was small, quickly put out and fortunately, nobody was hurt."