A woman who hit her neighbour over the head with a hammer in a dispute about a lost dog has been jailed.

Alison Johnson, aged 29, of Beckett Close in Aylesbury, has been locked up for three years after she was found guilty of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

At a sentencing hearing today (Friday) at Amersham Law Courts, the court heard how on March 9, 2019, Johnson hit her victim over the head with a hammer in an attack that left him needing stitches.

Johnson had denied the charge but was found guilty by a majority jury following a trial.

READ MORE: Drug line head admits cocaine and heroin offences

In mitigation, the court heard how Johnson suffered from complex PTSD due to traumatic abuse she suffered as a child, but her failure to show remorse for the crime left the judge with little choice but to send her to prison.

Sentencing, Recorder Simon Dyer QC said: "You maintain your innocence, there is clearly no remorse."

Summarising the case against Johnson, prosecutor Patrick Maggs told the court how on the day of the offence, there was a disturbance in Beckett Close involving the victim and Johnson's adoptive mother.

The court heard how the disturbance centred around the victim's missing dog.

Following an argument on the victim's doorstep, a car pulled up in the street and Johnson got out, carrying a hammer.

Walking up to the front door, Johnson and others forced the door open, and Johnson hit the victim over the head with the weapon, leaving him with a 1.5cm gash that required two stitches. 

According to Mr Maggs, someone on the scene was heard saying “we are going to kill you.”

Reading from a victim impact statement, Mr Maggs told the court that the victim had suffered with paranoia since the attack, had been left with a scar from his wound and moved away from the area as a result of what had happened.

In mitigation, defence counsel Kate Palmer told the court that Johnson suffered with severe mental health problems, including complex PTSD, as a result of childhood trauma.

Ms Palmer told the court that as a small child, Johnson was abused by her alcoholic mother, who attempted to kill her multiple times by suffocating and drowning her.

After she was put into care, Johnson was taken in by an adopted family, but has struggled with emotional development ever since, Ms Palmer explained.

The court also heard how in the three years since the assault, Johnson had committed no other offences, and rarely left the house to avoid possible run-ins with her victim.

After considering the evidence, Recorded Dyer sentenced Johnson to three years imprisonment for inflicting grievous bodily harm.