A woman was rescued along with her kitten and cat by firefighters from her bedroom after a house fire.

The fire is believed to have started by the kitten pulling curtain material down onto a halogen light in the living room of a house in Amersham.

Firefighters were called to an address at Darlington Close last night (August 2) at 9:37pm to deal with the blaze which left the woman and the kitten needing treatment.

The woman suffered minor smoke inhalation and was given first aid by the crew until the South Central Ambulance crew arrived. 

The kitten was also treated by the crew for smoke inhalation using an animal oxygen kit.