AN HISTORIC building in Marlow previously home to General Sir George Higginson has gone on the market.

The original Elizabethan manor, Higginson House on Henley Road has been put on sale for £1.75m.

The whole property has been the subject to a careful refurbishment by of local craftsmen.

The three-storey house has four bedrooms, two living spaces, three bathrooms a private courtyard and a front garden

The hallway has limestone floors throughout and leads into the kitchen which features a mandarin natural stone floor with underfloor heating and a vaulted ceiling with solid French oak trusses.

The living room has solid oak parquet flooring, stone mullion windows and an original fireplace.

On the first floor, you find two bedrooms, one with en-suite shower room, and a bathroom.

The main bedroom boasts a large balcony which has been fully repaired balcony and overlooks the main driveway.

Two of the bedrooms have dark oak flooring whilst the remaining two bedrooms have retained the original flooring.

Higginson House was part of Sir George’s home from 1866 to his death in 1927.

In 1952 the house was bought by a builder called Charlie Brown who paid £1,760 for the mansion and 10 acres of gardens.

Throughout the years, parts of the estate were sold off to create Pound Lane, Westwood Road and Harwood Road.

The original house, called Gyldernscroft was split into five dwellings with Higginson House being one of these.

Gyldernscroft had a large estate of over 100 acres, stretching from the Henley Road down to the riverbank.

Sir George had canal constructed, joining the Thames opposite Bisham Church in order to drain some marshy land.

The path of the canal can still be made out today, although the lock gates have since rotted away.

Sir George served as a British army officer and veteran of the Crimean War who served more than 30 years in the Grenadier Guards.

In the Crimea, George first encountered Florence Nightingale.

Their relationship continued for many more years as she was still writing to him in 1897.

After leaving the army, George returned to living full-time at Gyldernscroft with his wife and family.

He married in July 1858, his wife being Florence Virginia FitzPatrick, the 3rd daughter of the Rt. Hon. John FitzPatrick who was the Lord Lieutenant and M.P. for Queen’s County Ireland.

Sir George also had friendships with royalty with King George V and Queen Mary were frequent visitors to Gyldernscroft.

Queen Mary also planted an oak tree there – which still stands.