Wycombe Wanderers' 1-0 away win at Oxford United was overshadowed due to a medical emergency that saw the derby get halted for more than 40 minutes.

On 15 minutes, just four minutes after Max Stryjek saved a Cameron Brannagan penalty and then a rebound from James Henry, hundreds of fans in the West Side of the Kassam Stadium suddenly stood up in unison to alert the medical team within the ground.

It became apparent that the situation was grave, as match referee Keith Stroud instructed that both sets of players return to the changing rooms so that the person in question could receive treatment.

READ MORE: Oxford United vs Wycombe Wanderers restarts following a 'medical emergency' at the Kassam Stadium

After several updates from the Oxford United team, it was confirmed that the match would restart at 4pm, 40 minutes after initially stopping.

The stricken spectator was eventually taken away from the ground to a nearby hospital, which is believed to be the John Radcliffe in the city.

The match restarted with Wanderers being the better side and despite losing Dominic Gape after 19 minutes through injury, Wycombe took the lead just after the half-hour mark.

Alfie Mawson’s brilliant fizzing cross was smashed in by Chris Forino in front of the United fans.

READ MORE: Live at the Kassam Stadium: Oxford United 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers: Forino scores after 40 mins delay

The header was the centre back’s first of the season, which makes him the ninth different goal scorer for the Chairboys this league campaign.

Oxford began to play their stuff in the latter stages of the opening period, was Stryjek was on hand to keep United at bay, as Wycombe went into the break a goal ahead.

The second half was Oxford boss the ball and again Stryjek being called into action as he saved a George Long header.

United continued to put Wanderers under pressure but they could not find a way past a stubborn back five that had kept just three clean sheets in the league this season.

READ MORE: Alan Parry's Previews: Armchair critics think they know it all

At the other end, Sam Vokes nearly tapped home a Garath McCleary cross on the hour mark.

However, Wycombe held onto the win, which was their first at the Kassam since November 2014.

Attendance: 10,007

Away fans: 1,387