Flackwell Heath’s FA Cup match against Farnham Town was abandoned with 26 minutes remaining due to a ‘medical emergency’ involving one of their players.

In the cup tie at Wilks Park on September 2, the fixture was brought to a halt when Flackwell’s Matthew Ayres collapsed.

The incident happened in the 64th minute of the contest with Farnham leading 2-1 against the Buckinghamshire outfit.

The seriousness of the incident led the referee to take both sets of players off the pitch so that the ex-Aylesbury United man could receive treatment.

READ MORE: 'I knew it would hit the target' - Ex-Wycombe midfielder scores screamer for new club

Medical professionals along with paramedics helped the stricken player before he was taken to a nearby hospital.

He was eventually discharged several hours later and is expected to ‘rest’ before making his next appearance for the club.

In a statement that was shared on Twitter, Flackwell said: “Yesterday afternoon, [September 2], Matthew Ayres collapsed on the pitch in the 64th minute.

“There was a delay of around 30 minutes before an ambulance arrived.

“Once assessed by Paramedics on the pitch he was taken by ambulance to hospital.

“The game was subsequently abandoned by the match referee.

“After all the necessary tests came back Matthew returned home late last night [September 2], and will now rest for the next few days.

READ MORE: Students NOT ALLOWED at Bucks school after dangerous concrete is discovered

“We’d like to thank Farnham Town FC, we appreciate that it wasn’t an ideal end to the day but at Flackwell Heath FC, our player's welfare is of the utmost importance.

“Details of the rearranged fixture will be posted as soon as we receive them directly from the FA.”

The club also praised their medical team in a separate post, where they stated: “We’d also like to thank our head physio, Stacia Murray, for handling yesterday’s incident impeccably.

“Stacia’s knowledge and professionalism is second to none & some could say she is one of the best signings we’ve ever made.

“Thank you for keeping us all safe Stacia.”

READ MORE: TV Bargain Hunt star becomes patron of Buckinghamshire charity

It has since been revealed that Ayres suffered an asthma attack which led to his collapse, and that it was at Flackwell’s request to not resume the fixture ‘due to player distress’.

A new date for the rearranged fixture will be announced in due course.