A 15-year-old boy with extreme right-wing views has been convicted of terrorism after he planned to attack a specific target.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty at Wycombe Youth Court on Friday, November 24 following an investigation by Counter Terrorism Policing South East (CTPSE). 

A search was carried out at a property in Princes Risborough in December last year following his arrest. 

During the investigation, officers found evidence that the boy had identified a specific target which he planned to attack, and also that he had made a crude weapon.  

The investigation also found evidence that he was motivated by an extreme right-wing ideology. 

Officers seized items including camouflage clothing, fireworks and an improvised firework launcher.

They also found evidence that he had been engaging in spreading extreme right-wing views online. 

He was charged in May this year with inviting support for a proscribed organisation as well as possessing an explosive substance. 

Detective Chief Superintendent Olly Wright, head of Counter Terrorism Policing South East, said: “This is a very concerning case involving a 15-year-old boy with an extreme right-wing mindset. 

“From searches at his home address and the material he was sharing online, we believe that had he not been stopped, he would have attempted to carry out an attack at some point, causing serious harm to innocent people. 

“It saddens me that someone as young as this boy has been drawn in online by an extremist view of the world; this case is a good illustration of the careful consideration that has to be given when investigating someone so young involved in something so serious. 

“If you have concerns about someone you know, please trust your instincts and get in touch at the earliest opportunity. You can help us stop people being drawn along a dark path to extremism before it becomes too late. 

“You can make a report in confidence via gov.uk/ACT. Reporting really can save lives, and often help the person you are concerned about. In an emergency, always call 999.” 

The boy will be sentenced on 20 December at High Wycombe Magistrates’ Court.