A 90th minute from Matt Butcher has sent Wycombe Wanderers into their first-ever EFL Trophy final after they defeated Bradford City 1-0 at Valley Parade.

The new signing from Plymouth Argyle smashed home a Richard Kone assist in the first minute of stoppage time, in a match where the Chairboys were second best.

It was his first goal since moving to Adams Park from Devon last month, in a match in which Wycombe were second best.

There were worries that the match wouldn’t go ahead as images of the Valley Parade pitch showed it was in an awful state.

Members of the Bradford groundskeeping team were spotted laying down new grass roughly an hour and a half before kick-off, with the Wanderers players also testing the surface.

Incredibly, it passed an inspection and the game went ahead.

And seconds into the contest, the hosts nearly took the lead Tyler Smith’s low shot was easily saved by Max Stryjek.

Moments later, the Bantams went close again but Clarke Odour fired wide, before he unleashed a fierce drive at goal that went just over the bar.

For Wycombe, attack was the best form of defence as it nullified any Bradford attack, and on 16 minutes, Wanderers nearly took the lead but Sam Vokes’ header was easily caught by Colin Doyle.

The Chairboys looked good despite the pitch being incredibly boggy, as Garath McCleary, Dale Taylor and Freddie Potts produced some slick moves and passing but to no avail.

In front, large parts of the opening half saw Bradford have the ball but rarely go into the Wanderers final third.

The second half was more eventful, but not for Wanderers.

The hosts bossed possession and nearly took the lead on several occasions, but the heroics of Stryjek in the Wycombe goal kept Bradford at bay.

The Pole was on hand to deny Odour and Calum Kavanagh, whilst Kevin McDonald and substitute Liam Ridelagh went inches wide.

The Bantams were battered the boys from Bucks but Matt Bloomfield’s boys were holding on as Wanderers rarely threatened.

In the final 15 minutes, Bradford started to throw the kitchen sink to book their place at Wembley, but again, Stryjek was on hand to deny Kavanagh on both occasions.

Jack Grimmer also produced a fantastic latch-ditch tackle on Smith a certain one-on-one situation.

For the Chairboys, Kane Vincent-Young and Richard Kone came on to add a bit more pace into the Wanderers attack, and it nearly paid off.

The two worked well as the ball found McCleary, but his header was saved by Doyle in the Bradford goal.

But in the final moments of the contest, Kone found Butcher on the run, and the latter fired home past Doyle to send Wanderers to Wembley for the third time in five years.

They’ll play Peterborough United in the final on April 7.