A GoFundMe page has been launched following the sudden death of a popular homeless man from High Wycombe.

Edward ‘Eddie’ McDonald died at the Old Tea Warehouse on Sunday, May 5.

He had not long woken up from a deep sleep and was seen speaking to people, but passed away a few hours later from an alleged haemorrhage. 

The 57-year-old was known in the area as ‘the man who sat outside Iceland’ along the town’s High Street, where he spoke to members of the public about their day as well as stories about his past.

A shrine has been erected in his honour outside the supermarket, whilst two donation boxes (one by Iceland and the other being at the Three Tuns pub), have been created to raise much-needed funds to cover the cost of his funeral, as well as permanent memorial. 

In addition to this, a GoFundMe page has been created with a target of £500 being set.

It was made on the day of Mr McDonald’s death, with £470 being raised so far.

It reads: “The whole town of High Wycombe was devastated to hear the sad, sudden passing of Eddie McDonald.

“He touched the lives of so many people by his humble kindness. 

“We have teamed up with a family member in creating this [GoFundMe page] to raise as much as we can to contribute to Edd’s send-off or flowers and a memorial.

“We are also trying to get a plaque or a bench at his patch in remembrance of him so there will also be a donation box at the memorial for anyone who would like to help towards making this possible.

“If there happens to be anything left over, this money will go to the Dogs Trust charity in Edd’s name.

“He had two sausage dogs called Alfie and Precious and I know he would be happy with that charity.

There will be a formal tribute to the 57-year-old on Sunday, May 26 at the Three Tuns pub, where a balloon release will take place.

Those who knew the much-loved character have been encouraged to attend, where there will be a buffet.

The event will last for two hours.

Following his death, Thames Valley Police confirmed that they are treating his passing as ‘non-suspicious’ but ‘unexplained’.

Forensics were also seen at the Old Tea Warehouse along Amersham Hill that day, before they left in the early hours of May 6.

No cause of death has officially been given.

The Free Press has approached the Old Tea Warehouse for a comment.

To donate to the GoFundMe page, visit www.gofundme.com/f/contribute-towards-eds-memory-and-send-off.