A cinema in High Wycombe was ‘completely evacuated’ by firefighters last night.

Dan Brown, who lives locally, spotted three fire engines outside the Omniplex on Crest Road at around 9pm yesterday (June 9).

He said the vehicles arrived shortly after everyone in the cinema was evacuated between 8:30pm and 9pm and remained at the scene for about 40 minutes.

A spokesperson for the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters had been dispatched to the Omniplex after reports of a "smell of burning" in the building.

Three crews from High Wycombe, Beaconsfield and Maidenhead attended the scene, where they confirmed a "slight smell of burning and slight smoke" coming from the complex.

Using a thermal imaging camera, firefighters found a small fire that had been caused by an electrical distribution board in the cinema, but had put itself out before the emergency services arrived.

The crews reportedly also used a small extension ladder to isolate the building's electrical supply and remained at the scene to provide advice to employees and customers.