GOALKEEPER Ken Addai is back in the number one jersey at Chesham just three months after he was infamously sacked by former boss Graham Roberts.

Roberts bombed him out of the club at half-time after Addai let in six goals in the first 45 minutes of Chesham's pre-season friendly against Brentford.

But new boss Alan Cork thinks Roberts boobed and is offering the glovesman a second chance.

He has brought Addai back and put him between the sticks for United's last two games telling him to make the number one jersey his own again.

Addai played in Saturday's 2-1 defeat at home to Walton and Hersham in the Ryman Premier Division and turned out again in Tuesday's 4-1 thumping of Barton Rovers in the Puma Cup first round.

Cork is known to be looking for another goalkeeper as well, but told the Bucks Free Press this week: "I want to give Ken another chance. It is up to him to prove himself.

"He's done OK in the games he's played for me and he's a good chap to have around the place.

"I'm not rushing around trying to get people in because that's the way you make mistakes. I want to take my time and make sure I get it right."

Addai's return to Chesham's first team last Saturday was made all the more difficult when the Generals were reduced to ten men after just half an hour against Walton and Hersham.

Kieran Adams, Chesham's new loan signing from Barnet was booked after just three minutes and was sent off when he was booked again, for another challenge 27 minutes later.

Cork felt the dismissal was harsh but he has decided not to appeal against it.

It is tough luck though on Chesham and Adams in particular. United have only got the young professional in on a months loan from the Nationwide League outfit and they don't look as though they will be getting too much use out of him now.

United don't have a game tomorrow because Basingstoke are involved in FA Cup action, he can play in Tuesday's home clash against Purfleet, but will then be suspended for tomorrow week's Umbro Trophy game at Yeading.

But despite being a man down against Walton, Sammy Winston put Chesham 1-0 up in the second half before tiredeness crept in and Walton made their numerical advantage count with two late goals.

There was better news for Cork though on Tuesday night as he finally got his first win as Chesham boss at the fourth time of asking.

Barton Rovers were the victims and it was a Chesham side which carried the Alan Cork stamp that earned a second round home game against Dagenham and Redbridge.

Cork's new signings Kevin Dennis and John Lawford got two of the goals with John Mitchell, who Cork has promoted from the reserves, and Sammy Winston getting the others.

Dennis has been plucked on a month's loan from Nationwide Division Three favourites Brentford, while Lawford returns to the club after a spell with Harrow Borough.

Cork said: "I brought John back to the club because he scores goals and he's got straight on with that, while Kevin has got good quick feet."

He said: "It's taken longer than I wanted to get that first win but hopefully we can push on from here."

But he will have to be patient.

United tried to arrange a friendly against Kettering to replace the Basingstoke game tomorrow but the Football Conference has put the mockers on that by ordering the Midlanders to reschedule one of their league games instead leaving United with another blank weekend.

Cork said: "It's been very difficult. I've been here a month and we've only played four times."

Two wins out of two for new joint managers Jeff Turner and Paul West have seen Flackwell Heath shoot up to seventh place in the Ryman third division table.

Tomorrow, the new managerial team will be confident of keeping their run going when Hornchurch are the visitors to Wilks Park.

The Horns have yet to win away this season, although they have picked up three draws on their travels.

Last Saturday, new signing Jamie Charles scored two goals, one either side of half time, to help the Heathens on their way.

Stuart Marks was the other Flackwell scorer in a match which saw Glen McKee take over the captain's armband following the retirement of Tony Thompson.

But it was not all one-way traffic as Tring staged a late revival which caused a few Flackwell hearts to flutter.

They pulled a goal back after 74 minutes and Lee Elliott had to hack another effort off the line as the lowly visitors rallied.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.