SCHOOLCHILDREN ran in horror from a blood-soaked man after he pointed a gun in their direction as they walked past a bus stop.

Eyewitnesses say the man who had attempted to take his own life by slitting his wrists pointed the air rifle at a group of hysterical Year Seven pupils from The Chalfonts Community College, Narcot Lane, Chalfont St Peter, on Thursday, September 22.

The youngsters, who had just been dropped off in Church Road, Iver Heath, ran screaming into a nearby alleyway and were met by a parent coming to pick up her child at around 3.30pm.

Eleven-year-old Carolyn Lowe was one of the 12 pupils caught up in the incident.

Her mum Sylvie said she was disappointed with the lack of police and school response after the ordeal.

She said: "Nothing was said to them at school the next day by any of their teachers and we are very disappointed about the way police have handled the whole situation. We asked them to come down to the bus stop the next day to reassure the children but they must have gone to the wrong bus stop because they weren't there between 3pm and 3.30pm on Friday. This man has been taken off to hospital, but what happens when he comes home?

"These children have to get off at the bus stop every day, a few doors away from his house, not knowing whether he is going to threaten them again."

Douglas Humphries, vice principal of The Chalfonts Community College, said: "We heard about the incident on Thursday evening but weren't in full possession of the facts until Friday morning.

"I think it was distressing for everyone concerned, the children and adults and the bus driver who saw it.

"Some children were a little concerned and one or two parents phoned up. But we were told there would be a police presence at the bus stop to reassure the children and believed police were dealing with the issue.

"The children have received reassurance through their form tutors and class teachers, but no one has asked for formal counselling. If they did of course it would be made available."

Police say the man, who lived in the area, had taken a large quantity of sleeping pills but did not pose a danger to the public as his gun was not loaded. He was swiftly taken by ambulance to Wexham Park Hospital in Slough for treatment.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said police officers and a police community support officer patrolled the Church Road area on Friday, September 23, between 1pm and 5pm. He said they also want to speak to the school and anyone who could have been at the school when the children were dropped off between 3pm and 3.30pm.