Terrified neighbours have spoken out after a man was allegedly shot at in a shocking attack just hours before Christmas Day.

Officers were called to Station Road, in Loudwater, after panicked 999 reports of a weapon being fired at around 8.20pm on Christmas Eve.

The man is in hospital with serious injuries to his shoulder following the incident.

Neighbours spoke of their shock, with one woman saying she initially thought the alleged gunshots could have been fireworks.

The woman, who did not want to be named, said: “It’s a bit worrying that it’s happening right on your doorstep.

“I felt worried and scared when I heard about it because obviously you don’t know what it’s relating to – it’s just worrying really. I didn’t know whether it was fireworks going off or what it was.”

Two men have been arrested while investigations continue. A 27-year-old man from Greater London was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of attempted murder and possession with intent to supply Class A drugs, while a 35-year-old man was arrested on Christmas Day also on suspicion of attempted murder.

The pair are in custody and police have reassured the public saying it is an “isolated” incident.

The land surrounding the Loudwater War Memorial was cordoned off on Wednesday and forensic investigators with metal detectors were seen in the area.

Rebecca Roberts, who moved in to her home on Station Road about two months ago, said it was “shocking”, especially as the incident happened so close to Christmas.

She said: “I wasn’t here, I was away, I found out through my neighbour. I’m quite worried, this is the first time anything like this has happened.

“I’ve only recently bought the house so I’m slightly alarmed and I’m hoping that it’s an isolated incident like the police are saying. Hopefully everything settles down. It’s very shocking.”

Another neighbour, who also did not want to be named, was also away with her family when the incident happened and said it was “not very nice” to wake up to police cars outside their home on Christmas Day, adding that they had to be escorted back to their home by police when they returned.

Wycombe District Council leader Katrina Wood, who is also the chairman of Chepping Wycombe Parish Council and district councillor for Tylers Green and Loudwater, said she was “shocked” to hear about the incident.

She said: “My thoughts are with all those involved as it must have been a really terrifying experience, especially at this time of year.”