WANDERERS’ pre-season friendly with Farnborough was abandoned at half time after the referee raised concerns the pitch was dangerous to the players.

Several sections of the pitch had been filled with sand and the official said it was too soft for the players to play on.

Blues led 2-0 at that point after Philip Roberts – one of four trialists in the Wycombe team – netted twice.

He was joined in attack by Arsenio Halfhuid, with the Dutchman being given a starting berth after a late cameo against Staines last night.

Ellis Deeney, brother of Watford striker Troy, played at left back while Borehamwood defender Robert Hastings took his place in the centre of defence.

Deeney failed to make it through to half time as he pulled up with what looked like a groin problem, to the obvious disappointment of Blues boss Gareth Ainsworth.

The rest of the Wanderers squad consisted of younger players and Conference South side Farnborough provided a decent test for them.

Roberts created the first opening for Wanderers as he skipped clear of the Farnborough defence and drew keeper Liam Stone off his line, but fellow frontman Halfhuid will have left Ainsworth unimpressed as he clipped the angle of bar and post six yards out in front of an open goal.

Dutchman Halfhuid knocked on wood again shortly afterwards but whereas the first occasion was down to incompetence the second time saw Stone at the top of his game as his fingertips diverted the striker’s fierce angled drive onto the upright.

It was Roberts who made the first impression on the game as he picked the ball up on the edge of the box, shuffled his way past a defender before getting back inside and curling low into the bottom corner for a wonderfully composed finish.

He doubled his total with a poacher’s finish, tapping in Junior Morias’s low cross after the powerful forward had broken clear down the left.

Farnborough weren’t without their chances though as Charlie Horlock made a great save from former Fulham man Elvis Hammond in the early stages, Dan Bennett twice missed the target and skipper Alan Inns hooked wide when Hastings’ header dropped out the sky for him.

But they didn’t have chance to get back into the game as the game was halted halfway through.