FOR Wasps, the only acceptable result in their final Aviva Premiership match at Adams Park today was a bonus point victory and they got it after turning a blitzkrieg start into an 11-try, 71-7 demolition of London Welsh.

Christian Wade and Ashley Johnson both scored hat-tricks in the massacre, which Wasps' largest ever win in the Premiership, with Nathan Hughes (2), Sailosi Tagicakibua, Joe Simpson and Tom Varndell also making merry.

By the end it felt a bit like a turkey shoot as Welsh, who have been on the receiving end of a few hammering already, collapsed to their heaviest defeat of the season.

But for Wasps, it was job done – and then some.

Director of rugby had challenged his players to start fast and get the intensity right against the league’s whipping boys, and his players didn’t let him down.

There were less than two minutes on the clock when Hughes crashed over for their opening try and when Johnson finished off a driving line out in the sixth minute, the hosts had already won two penalties while Wade, Rob Miller and even Andy Goode had made darts for the line.

The fly half converted both tries to make it 14-0 and, with fully 73 minutes still to play, the contest was effectively over.

Welsh might have had four former Wasps players in their starting XV, but so far this season they have been a long way short of the required level and this week it was the black and golds cashing in.

Try number three came with 17 minutes on the clock, when Tagicakibau was on the end of a two-man overlap to jog over.

Miller might have scored in the preceding moments, and Chris Bell nearly did with a determined burst for the line, but it was left to the giant winger to supply the cutting edge, and the bonus point was done and dusted before half time when Hughes pounced on a spilled ball from Seb Jewell to go over.

Wasps had little more they could achieve after that, but 26-0 was just a launch pad for a second half onslaught that yielded a further seven tries.

Wade, Johnson and Simpson crossed in the 45th, 52nd and 55th minutes, and after Wasps freshened things up with the introduction of Varndell, Alex Lozowski and Tom Bliss, Johnson rumbled over to complete his hat-trick with 65 minutes gone.

Ben Pienaar had replied for Welsh amidst the carnage, but this was as emphatic a victory as Wasps have enjoyed in the Premiership and the barrage continued with Varndell finishing off a sublime break from Lozowski before Wade went over twice in quick succession to complete his own treble and take the try count to 11.

That was about all the misery Welsh could handle, and fortunately for them the final whistle went before Wasps could complete a round dozen.

Their final High Wycombe hurrah comes against Castres in the Champions Cup on December 14. It won’t be anything like as straightforward as this.