In the wake of securing their place in the European Champions Cup quarter-final with a 20-20 draw against Leinster, Wasps have announced the signing of New Zealand winger Frank Halai.

The 26-year-old, who has one cap for the All Blacks, will join the club from Auckland Blues at the end of the season after signing on Monday.

Meanwhile, Halai’s new team-mates staged a second half fight back at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday as they overcame a 14-point half-time deficit to progress into the last eight thanks to tries from Matt Mullan and Nathan Hughes.

The black and golds also faced a nervous wait to see if they would take up one of the three best runner-up slots after they pipped Harlequins to second place by virtue of a better head-to-head record as they both finished with 18 points.

Wasps’ points haul was enough to see them take a place in the quarter-finals with their prize a trip to cup holders Toulon in April.

Their hopes of staying in the tournament looked to be hanging by a thread as they fell behind to scores from Fergus McFadden and Isaac Boss, and penalties from Ian Madigan and Jimmy Gopperth as the Pool Two leaders built up an imperious lead at the break.

The hosts were down to 14 men just 17 seconds into the match as Ashley Johnson was sin-binned for tackling Dave Keraney as the Leinster wing attempted to catch a high ball.

A strong Irish following had followed their team to Coventry and they saw their side take full advantage of Johnson’s misdemeanour as McFadden went over with just two minutes played.

Madigan converted and then kicked a penalty after Andy Goode had responded with three points of his own, before Gopperth stepped up to extend the lead.

Goode responded once again via a penalty before Boss went in for Leinster’s second try three minutes before the interval.

The second half was scoreless until the 61st minute when Wasps, roared on by 23,493 fans at the Ricoh, hit back as Mullan charged over for a converted try.

Hughes then bundled his way over with 12 minutes left to play with Goode again adding the extras as the home side began to sense a victory.

And they had the chance to win the game at the death as Goode dropped back with the posts in his sights, but the fly-half sent his drop goal attempt wide and Wasps were made to wait for their place in the last eight.