A brilliant Nathan Tyson double helped Wycombe Wanderers to the lofty heights of second place in League Two after a pulsating 3-2 win over league leaders Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

Tyson scored two and made the first for Paris Cowan-Hall as Wanderers made the perfect start inside two minutes.

Cowan-Hall slammed his shot home from the edge of the box past a despairing Marek Stech after Tyson was sent clear by Dominic Gape. Tyson’s shot was superbly stopped by the Luton keeper, the ball came back to him and he laid it to Cowan-Hall who made no mistake.

Tyson made it two on 38 minutes when he poked home from six yards after Dan Scarr nodded Joe Jacobson's corner across the box.

Luton pulled one back with three minutes to go before the break when James Collins was foiled miraculously by Scott Brown but the ball fell to Elliot Lee who tucked the ball home from 12 yards.

Wanderers winger Tyson produced another moment of magic with 20 minutes to go when he got behind the Luton defence thanks to a wonderful ball from Gape and he coolly slotted home in front of the noisy Wycombe contingent who went into raptures.

Elliot Lee pulled another goal back on 76 minutes when he slammed the ball into the roof of the net after Brown parried away Harry Cornick's volley which set up a grandstand finish.

Wanderers' red-hot start rattled the league leaders and took the home side 10 minutes to have a shot when Luke Berry curled straight into Brown's arms

Brown came up trumps for the Blues on 19 minutes when he smartly tipped away Berry’s low strike. From the rebound, Adam El-Abd made a heroic block to deny James Collins.

The Chairboys keeper then produced an even better save on 29 minutes when Collins’ strike from the edge of the box was deflected and Brown produced a terrific fingertip save to tip the ball past the post.

Elliot Lee had a golden chance two minutes when he found himself free in the six-yard box but he missed the ball with the goal at his mercy.

This was a cracking football match with both teams showing real attacking intent in the opening half hour.

Incredibly, Wanderers’ next real opportunity led to a goal when the dangerous Tyson got free before Eliott Lee ensured Luton went into half-time just one goal behind.

The second half started at a slower tempo with Wycombe just about in the ascendency but Luton had the first sniff on 51 minutes when Elliot Lee turned Scarr but his daisycutter was collected by Brown.

Luton were beginning to keep more of the ball but Wanderers were remaining disciplined led brilliantly by El-Abd.

The home side were awarded a free kick on 65 minutes in a dangerous position 20 yards. Alan Sheehan curled the ball towards the top corner but Brown flew to his right to keep it out.

After some superb defensive work by Gareth Ainsworth’s side, Tyson kept his cool to grab his second of the game.

However, Luton still posed a huge threat going forward and Elliot Lee also got his second to ensure a very nervy ending to a superb game of football.

Scott Kashket almost made the game safe on 87 minutes when Gape's long-range effort hit the striker 10 yards out but Stech made a fantastic save to deny the Blues grabbing a fourth.

Cornick then had a fantastic chance to level a minute later when he went one-on-one with Brown but the Chairboys custodian made yet another heroic save.

Referee Tim Robinson added on nine minutes of injury time but the Chairboys saw it out doggedly to climb to second and complete a memorable victory.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Moore (sub: Thompson, 83), El-Abd, Scarr, Jacobson, Bean, Gape, O’Nien, Tyson (sub: Mackail-Smith, 75), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall (sub: Kashket, 83). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, McGinley, De Havilliand, Freeman.

LUTON TOWN: Stech, Stacey, Mullins (sub: Mpanzu, 57), Sheehan, Potts, O Lee (sub: D’Ath, 78), Rea, Shinnie (sub: Cornick, 68), Berry, Collins, E Lee. Subs: Shea, Justin, Jarvis, Famewo.

REFEREE: Tim Robinson

ATTENDANCE: 8,564 (Wycombe 791)