Wycombe Wanderers stunned high-flying Peterborough United as they beat Posh 1-0 in an absorbing League One contest at Adams Park.

Bryn Morris grabbed the only goal of the game on 66 minutes, smashing home a free-kick via the aid of a deflection and wrong-footing Aaron Chapman in the Peterborough goal.

Overall, Wycombe edged proceedings but Peterborough certainly had chances of their own throughout the game.

It was a fairly even start at Adams Park, with both sides trying to play a high tempo.

Peterborough had the first effort on goal on seven minutes when Louis Reed had a crack from 25 yards which went wide of the left-hand post.

Wycombe hit back a minute later when Darius Charles met Morris’ superb cross but his shot trickled wide.

Without Adebayo Akinfenwa, the front two of Alex Samuel and Randell Williams were making life hard for the Posh defence.

Wanderers were just getting on top and after great play between Samuel and Morris, Fred Onyedinma had a fierce strike on 13 minutes which went high and wide.

Joe Jacobson was then denied by a fantastic save from Aaron Chapman on 20 minutes as he flighted a 20-yard free kick over the wall towards to the top corner but the Posh keeper was equal to it.

Posh had threatened much but Ivan Toney got into the box on 25 minutes and flashed his shot wide of the near post.

The visitors had a half chance a minute later when Ryan Tafazolli’s header drifted harmlessly wide from Reed’s corner.

Wanderers had a shout of a penalty on 29 minutes when Onyedinma and Rhys Bennett wrestled each other in the area but referee Ben Toner wasn’t interested.

Peterborough nearly took the lead against the run of play on 42 minutes when Bennett turned and smashed a low shot in from six yards which was brilliantly saved by Ryan Allsop.

It was a slower start to the second half than the first but Wycombe were still slightly in the ascendency.

Wanderers came close to breaking the deadlock on 55 minutes when Paris Cowan-Hall met Jacobson’s corner with a decent header which just went over the bar.

Peterborough had a magnificent chance just 60 seconds later when Matt Godden was one-on-one with Allsop but the Blues keeper produced a fantastic block to deny him.

A controversial moment then occurred on 65 minutes when Onyedinma was brought down by last man Tafazolli, who received just a yellow card.

However, from the resulting free kick, Bryn Morris smashed home the free kick via a deflection to give the Chairboys a priceless lead.

The Blues neatly doubled their advantage two minutes later when Jason McCarthy’s cross was brilliantly tipped away by Chapman.

Peterborough were stung into action by that and substitute Marcus Maddison saw his curler well parried by Allsop.

Wanderers were holding their ground firmly at the back, superbly led by Adam El-Abd and Darius Charles.

Jason Cummings nearly equalised with an audacious effort which just went wide on 86 minutes.

The dangerous Onyedinma came close to scoring one of the goals of the season on 87 minutes when he skinned three men but saw his rocket beaten away by Chapman.

The final whistle was met with relieved cheers by the Wycombe faithful who now face Oxford in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Charles, El-Abd, Jacobson, Cowan-Hall (sub: Thompson, 87), Morris, Gape, Onyedinma, Samuel (sub: Mackail-Smith, 81), Williams. Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Bean, Freeman, Kashket, Jombati.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED: Chapman, Naismith, Tafazolli, Bennett, Denton (sub: Walker, 78), Ward, Reed, Woodyard, Dembele (sub: Maddison, 73), Godden (sub: Cummings, 63), Toney. Subs: Tyler, O’Hara, Cooper, Bassong.

REFEREE: Ben Toner