Wycombe Wanderers were dumped out of the FA Cup at the first round stage as they suffered a disappointing 2-0 loss against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

Goals from Andrew Shinnie and Harry Cornick sealed the win for the Hatters as Wanderers failed to get into their stride against the big spending outfit.

It was a lively start and Luton could have been ahead after two minutes when Joe Jacobson’s poor back pass was seized upon by Cornick but he was denied by a wonderful save by Ryan Allsop.

The game settled down with Wanderers looking confident in possession on a slick pitch at Kenilworth Road.

Wanderers had their first real half-chance after 18 minutes when Jason McCarthy’s excellent cross found Fred Onyedinma but his header was high and wide of the target.

The Blues were beginning to get slightly on top in a fast-paced contest. Adam El-Abd headed wide from Joe Jacobson’s superb corner on 23 minutes.

Luton hit back a minute later when Sonny Bradley headed wide of the upright from Shinnie’s set-piece.

Chances were beginning to flow and Elliot Lee saw his free-kick from 25 yards flash well wide on 27 minutes.

Both teams were continuing to slug it out but it was the Hatters who took the lead on 40 minutes when Shinnie picked up Pelly Mpanzu’s pass and curled in delightfully in from 20 yards via the post.

Luton could have had a second goal before the break when the excellent Shinnie played a great through ball to James Collins who slammed home from 12 yards but he was adjudged offside.

Nathan Jones’ side made a fast start to the second half and Sonny Bradley had a header cleared off the line by Dominic Gape.

The Chairboys had a decent opportunity to get an equaliser on 56 minutes as Alex Samuel burst superbly down the right, cut the ball back but Gape shot wide under pressure from Glen Rea.

Wycombe were gradually trying to get their tempo going in attack and Paris Cowan-Hall saw his tame shot easily held by James Shea on 58 minutes.

Allsop came to Wycombe’s rescue again a minute later when he blocked bravely from Lee on the hour.

Luton still looked a threat up top and Cornick came close on 67 minutes, seeing his long-range effort deflected just over.

From the resulting corner, Rea headed wide.

The home side then doubled their advantage on 71 minutes when Cornick capitalised on an Adam El-Abd error and slotted past Allsop.

The Blues continued to chip away and Randell Williams saw his firm strike palmed away by Shea on 73 minutes.

Lee almost made it three to Luton on 77 minutes but his improvised effort was hooked off the line by Curtis Thompson.

Allsop made one more very impressive save in injury time when he kept out Jorge Grant's long-range effort.

Luton saw the game out well and Wanderers now have League One to fully concentrate on.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Jombati, El-Abd, Jacobson, Bean (sub: Kashket, 84). Gape, Thompson, Cowan-Hall (sub: Williams, 68), Onyedinma, Samuel (sub: Mackail-Smith, 68). Subs: Yates, Stewart, Freeman.

LUTON TOWN: Shea, Stacey, Pearson, Bradley, Justin, Rea, Shinnie (sub: Grant, 52), Mpanzu, Lee (sub: LuaLua, 86), Collins, Cornick. Subs: Stech, McCormack, Jarvis, Jones, Sheehan.

REFEREE: Craig Hicks

ATTENDANCE: 5,343 (Wycombe 786)