Beaconsfield progressed to the third qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy for the first time in their history as they survived a late comeback from hosts Aveley before winning 2-1.

The Rams started brightly, Charlie Losasso forcing the first of a series of good saves from Millers keeper David Hughes after only three minutes.

Sixty seconds later Aveley’s Tom Richardson saw Ravan Constable save his shot and that was pretty much the tone for the first half as both sides traded decent opportunities – Louis Stead had a 13th minute effort saved by Hughes, Aveley’s Jason Raad was thwarted by Constable two minutes later, a Losasso corner on 21 minutes led to a goalmouth scramble before the ball was hacked away, Raad went close again on 24 minutes whilst Stead on 27 minutes and Losasso on 31 minutes were both denied by Hughes.

The second period was only five minutes old when Brendan Matthew spun his marker and got off a shot that was met by a great fingertip save by Hughes. An Aveley corner on 54 minutes was headed off the line by Reece Yorke and then just two minutes later The Rams took the lead as an effort by Louis Stead took a deflection to wrong foot Hughes and the keeper could only palm the ball into the net.

It was two nil eight minutes later as good link up play between Matthew and Losasso set up Bajram Pashaj who calmly picked his spot to shoot past Hughes.

Losasso also saw a decent effort go wide on 72 minutes whilst sub Alex Cathline had a powerful header tipped onto the bar by Hughes sixty seconds later.

After looking deflated, however, Aveley got a second wind, spurred on by a fine strike from Tony Martin that cannoned back off The Rams bar. Sensing a chance of a comeback The Millers force a fine save out of Ravan on 80 minutes and finally made their pressure pay off on 87 minutes when Andy Freeman managed to round Constable and pull a goal back.

The five minutes additional time sure made things nervy for The Rams faithful, a last ditch free kick in particular conjuring up thoughts of a possible replay. It wasn’t to be for Aveley, however, as The Rams held on to take their place in the draw for the next round.

Beaconsfield face Farnborough at home on Saturday in the Evo-Stik South Premier Division (kick off 3pm).