Randell Williams ensured Wycombe Wanderers made it six League One wins on the spin at Adams Park the Blues beat Barnsley 1-0 in a pulsating clash on a blustery day.

Williams cracked home the winner on 54 minutes from 20 yards after the visitors failed to properly clear Joe Jacobson's corner.

Overall, on the balance of play, Wycombe deserved the win against a team with serious aspirations of promotion back to the Championship.

Barnsley began the game on the front foot and on three minutes, midfielder Alex Mowatt let fly from 20 yards but debutant goalkeeper Stephen Henderson held on comfortably.

Wycombe were slowly working their way back into the contest and Alex Samuel was just about snuffed about by Ethan Pinnock as the Welshman shaped to shoot on nine minutes.

A minute later, Liam Lindsay saw his header cleared off the line by Dominic Gape after a superb corner by George Moncur.

It was a ferocious battle in the middle of the park with the likes of Wycombe’s Curtis Thompson and Barnsley’s Cameron McGeehan flying into tackles.

The Blues were posing problems for the Tykes backline and had a decent shout for a penalty on 19 minutes when Samuel appeared to be pushed over by Lindsay but referee Antony Coggins waved away the protests.

Fred Onyedinma was beginning to cause Zeki Fryers a headache on the right wing and he left him for dead before skying a shot over and wide on 20 minutes.

It was a pulsating clash despite the scoreline being goal-less and Nathan Tyson teed up Gape on 24 minutes from 30 yards and his thunderous strike went only just over.

Samuel came so close to giving Wanderers the lead on 39 minutes when he just missed Jason McCarthy’s brilliant low cross from six yards out.

Barnsley had their best chance right on half-time when Henderson denied Pinnock with a superb save from his header.

The Chairboys had a golden chance on 47 minutes to take the lead when brilliant work by Nathan Tyson down the left found Onyedinma, who passed it to  Williams but he saw his effort from point-blank range brilliantly kept out by Adam Davies.

Wycombe were smelling blood and after some intricate passing in the midfield on 50 minutes, Williams’ wicked low cross just evaded Onyedinma at the back post.

The Chairboys then got the goal their start to the second half deserved when the excellent Williams crashed home a strike on 54 minutes from 20 yards which Davies couldn’t keep out.

Barnsley were huffing and puffing but Wycombe were holding firm. Jacob Brown had a half-chance on 69 minutes when he met Mowatt’s corner with a header but it drifted harmlessly wide.

The Tykes were gradually trying a more patient build-up but Sido Jombati and Adam El-Abd were keeping top scorer Moore quiet.

El-Abd had a good opportunity to extend Wanderers' lead on 81 minutes but he headed straight at Davies from Jacobson's excellent delivery.

Barnsley were trying to up the tempo and Moncur had a shot deflected wide on 82 minutes before McGeehan saw a shot blocked in the six-yard box.

Daniel Standel's side were starting to work more opportunities with the wind in ther favour and McGeehan saw an effort gratefully held by Henderson after another vicious Mowatt corner.

Moore had about his only sniff in injury time when his daisycutter dribbled wide but Henderson seemed to have it covered.

Pinnock had one last big chance with a minute to go but he hooked his shot just over after a terrific cross by Mamadou Thiam.

However, the Chairboys were full value for the three points as they produced arguably their best display of the season.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Henderson, McCarthy, El-Abd, Jombati, Jacobson, Onyedinma, Gape, Thompson, Williams, Tyson, Samuel. Subs: Yates, Stewart, Mackail-Smith, Kashket, Cowan-Hall, Morris, Freeman.

BARNSLEY: Davies, Brown, Pinnock, Lindsay, Fryers (sub: Thiam, 74), Behre (sub: Potts, 54), McGeehan, Mowatt, Moncur, Moore, Woodrow (sub: J Williams, 53) . Subs: Greatorex, Isgrove, Jackson, B Williams.

REFEREE: Antony Coggins