Wycombe Wanderers lost their third League One game on the spin after a 1-0 defeat to Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

However, the Blues will be scratching their heads as to how they lost after completely dominating chances and possession for the majority of the 90 minutes.

Scott Kashket hit the post, Alex Samuel had a goal disallowed and Iron keeper Jak Alnwick produced some brilliant saves to keep the Chairboys at bay.

The only goal of the game was a bit of a gift on eight minutes when Ryan Allsop failed to hold Kyle Wootton's shot, which dribbled across the line.

Scunthorpe had the first effort after just 10 seconds when George Thomas let fly from 20 yards but the ball was comfortably held by Allsop.

Wycombe came back with a half chance of their own a minute later when Joe Jacobson’s free kick from 30 yards went wide of the post.

However, the home side took the lead when Wootton’s shot from a tight angle somehow went in.

Wanderers, though, bounced back superbly when brilliant wing work by Nick Freeman and Jacobson saw the ball find its way to Samuel who struck home on 10 minutes.

Incredibly, after a long discussion between referee Darren Drysdale and his assistant, the goal was ruled out for an apparent offside.

Wanderers were putting together decent passages of attacking play and Jacobson came very close from a free kick on 18 minutes which hit the side netting with Alnwick beaten.

The visitors were beginning to get on top and Jason McCarthy cut in from the right and hit a left foot shot from 15 yards on 21 minutes which was well held by Alnwick.

There was another slight talking point on 25 minutes when Fred Onyedinma looked as though he may have been fouled in the Scunthorpe box but a free kick was awarded which Jacobson blazed over.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side were still in the ascendency just after the half hour and Onyedinma flashed a shot across goal on 32 minutes which evaded everyone.

Wycombe were huffing and puffing approaching half time and Jacobson’s excellent cross on 41 minutes found Kashket, who saw his tame header calmly held.

A minute later, Thomas was one-on-one but Allsop atoned for earlier error with a terrific block to deny the Iron winger.

Back came Wanderers and Onyedinma thumped a shot just wide on 43 minutes after good work by Kashket.

Kashket then was inches away from equalising for the Blues on 44 minutes when his half-volley from 12 yards crashed against the post and bounced out to the relieved Scunthorpe defenders to clear.

The Blues were really turning the screw before the break and Freeman’s piledriver was excellently tipped wide by Alnwick.

Wycombe came out the traps quickly again and Onyedinma came agonisingly close to levelling matters on 48 minutes, his effort fizzing inches wide.

Onyedinma looked in the mood to turn things around for the Chairboys and he saw his curler held well by Alnwick on 50 minutes.

The visitors came even closer 60 seconds later when McCarthy’s cross reached Kashket at the back post but his close-range effort was magnificently blocked by Alnwick.

Wanderers continued to dominate proceedings but Scunthorpe, albeit shakily at times, were holding on.

Ainsworth turned to his talisman Adebayo Akinfenwa to come on and work some magic for the tireless Onyedinma and he almost made an immediate impact on 69 minutes, heading Jacobson’s corner just wide.

Still Wycombe piled on the pressure and McCarthy unleashed a rocket on 71 minutes which went across the box.

Scunthorpe were beginning to grow in confidence as Wycombe were starting to look a little frustrated.

Akinfenwa was making his presence felt and some expert hold-up play found Freeman on 84 minutes but he dragged his shot wide.

As the game got into stoppage time, chances for Wanderers were becoming more of a rarity as the home side were combating the threat from the Blues.

Overall, the Blues deserved more and now look to bounce back against Coventry on New Year's Day (3pm).

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, El-Abd, Stewart, Jacobson, Freeman, Gape, Thompson, Onyedinma (sub: Akinfenwa, 68), Kashket (sub: Cowan-Hall, 71), Samuel (sub: Williams, 88). Subs: Yates, Jombati, Mackail-Smith, Morris.

SCUNTHORPE UNITED: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson, Ojo, Perch, Novak, Thomas, El-Mhanni (sub: Dales, 52) (sub: Lewis, 71), Burgess, Sutton, McArdle, Wootton. Subs: Flatt, Horsfield, Ugbo, Humphrys, Goode.

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale