Wycombe Wanderers' rocky run continued as they fell to their fourth successive defeat, losing 2-0 to Coventry City at Adams Park in their League One clash.

Goals from Conor Chaplin and substitute Jonson Clarke-Harris gave the Blues a deserved win, with Wycombe failing to create many clear-cut chances in the match.

Wanderers had the first half-chance of the match when Fred Onyedinma spun smartly on the edge of the box on two minutes but his effort was deflected wide.

The Blues began the game brightly and Nathan Tyson was next to have an opportunity on seven minutes but he scuffed his volley wide from 10 yards after an excellent cross from Jason McCarthy.

The game quietened down a bit after those early Wycombe chances but the hosts were still in the ascendency.

Chances were becoming slightly rarer for the home side but good play on 20 minutes saw the ball reach Alex Samuel in the box but his tame shot was easily collected by Lee Burge.

The visitors were getting to grips with the contest and McCarthy produced an excellent header off the line on 23 minutes after a teasing cross from Luke Thomas.

The dangerous Thomas came close to scoring a superb goal on 28 minutes when he drove at the Wycombe area but rifled his shot just wide of the post.

Coventry were then awarded a penalty on 33 minutes when Tyson fouled Jordy Hiwula and Chaplin coolly slotted home from the spot.

The Sky Blues started the second half on the front foot and Chaplin was denied a second goal on 47 minutes by a magnificent block from Sido Jombati.

Wycombe were now enjoying a decent spell of possession but Coventry were looking organised in defence, led by Dominic Hyam.

Coventry then dealt the Blues a sucker punch as substitute  Clarke-Harris made an immediate impact on 61 minutes, firing home past Allsop after a lovely pass from Tom Bayliss.

The Chairboys were really struggling for any momentum and Coventry were looking comfortable on the ball.

Thomas, looking lively on the right, cut in on 70 minutes but his firm, low strike was well held by Allsop.

Wycombe were looking for an opening and Scott Kashket had an opportunity from a free kick on 79 minutes, but put his effort well over.

Wanderers had a big shout for a penalty on 84 minutes when Fred Onyedinma looked to be pulled back by Jordan Willis but referee Neil Hair waved away the protests.

A minute later, Adebayo Akinfenwa saw his header smartly stopped by Burge.

The Chairboys were beginning to build up a head of steam in the dying embers of the game and Kashket saw his piledriver held well by Burge.

However, a Wycombe comeback failed to materialise and the Blues now have an 11-day break before they face Doncaster Rovers at home on January 12.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Jombati, Stewart, Harriman, Onyedinma, Thompson, Gape, Freeman (sub: Kashket, 68), Samuel (sub: Akinfenwa, 64), Tyson (sub: Mackail-Smith, 86). Subs: Yates, El-Abd,  Cowan-Hall, Williams.

COVENTRY CITY: Burge, Sterling, Willis, Hyam, Mason, Thomas, Kelly (sub: McCallum, 79), Bayliss, Shipley, Hiwula (sub: Clarke-Harris, 60), Chaplin (sub: Doyle, 74). Subs: Addai, Grimmer, Davies, Westbrooke.

REFEREE: Neil Hair