Amersham and Chiltern beat their old nemesis 18-10 in an absorbing London 1 North clash on Saturday.

Since moving into the London leagues Chiltern have come off second best against Southend in each game played. At the beginning of this season Chiltern struggled with the size and experience of their opponents but on Saturday saw a vast improvement with a scrum in control throughout and an all-round attacking game that was far more penetrative than Southend’s.

Chiltern welcomed back Steven Gibson for his first game in a year after his travels to New Zealand but it was the loose play and tremendous defence that gave the three-quarters time and space to attack. Regrettably some last minute fumbles and too many penalties given away by both sides meant that there was no score until, after 35 minutes, a very good long pass found the Southend winger in space to outflank the Chiltern defence and hare over for a try in the corner which was unconverted, 0-5.

It was somewhat against the run of play and, after securing some better ball, Chiltern worked a delightful overlap for Dan Kingsley who had an outstanding game to cross for Chiltern’s first try which was also unconverted, 5-5. Two minutes later another Southend transgression gave Monty Weatherall the opportunity to put Chiltern into a lead which they never surrendered. It was 40m out but was calmly slotted, 8-5.

With about three minutes to go another penalty gave Chiltern the lineout 5m out but a clever short move was adjudged not to have gone 5m so Southend could clear their lines.

As it was only a free kick Chiltern had the ball at the ensuing lineout just inside the Southend 22. They won the ball and set up a rolling maul which went on and on until Jordan Scott was able to crash over the tryline for an unconverted try, 13-5.

The second half was pretty attritional, although Chiltern continued to look the more threatening despite losing prop Lachlan Collier after 15 minutes.

Collier retaliated after being elbowed in the face and, having punched the offender, was unsurprisingly given his marching orders.

Even with a man advantage, Southend rarely looked like scoring and with five minutes left a huge kick into the Southend 22 was not dealt with very well. Mikey Brothers tried to catch the loose ball but missed it before fullback Jake Cutter, following up, hacked the ball on and Kingsley was on hand to make the game safe, 18-5. There was just time for Southend to secure a dropped pass from the restart and force their way over to make the final score 18-10 to Chiltern, who were very happy with a very satisfying four points.

Next week Chiltern visit HAC (kick off 2pm) who they beat in a nail-biting encounter last year. The match is to be played at Chiswick RFC’s ground.