Wycombe Wanderers chalked up their third successive League One victory with a richly deserved 1-0 win over in-form Plymouth Argyle at Adams Park.

The game was settled by a first half own goal by Yann Songo'o but Wycombe should have made the game safe with a plethora of chances throughout the match.

Wycombe had a great chance to take the lead on two minutes when Dominic Gape’s cross was met with a firm header by Adebayo Akinfenwa but Kyle Letheren made a smart stop to deny him.

The Blues made a rapid start to proceedings and Akinfenwa was in the thick of the action, laying the ball off to Paris Cowan-Hall in the fifth minute but the winger’s shot was superbly stopped by Letheren.

Wanderers looked very dangerous going forward and Akinfenwa had another sighter on nine minutes, meeting Nick Freeman’s cross with a glancing header which went inches wide.

The Chairboys continued to remain in the ascendency and Freeman saw his shot from the edge of the box drift wide on 21 minutes.

Wycombe then got the goal they richly deserved on 23 minutes when Joe Jacobson’s wicked corner was headed into his own net by Songo’o with Akinfenwa lurking.

The Blues looked so threatening from set-pieces with Jacobson’s corners causing panic for the Plymouth defence.

Cowan-Hall had a golden opportunity on 37 minutes to extend Wycombe’s lead when Akinfenwa’s flick-on was laid through expertly by Freeman but Cowan-Hall’s effort was excellently blocked by the impressive Letheren.

Argyle’s first attempt on goal came on 40 minutes when Graham Carey’s free kick sailed harmlessly over the bar.

The visitors almost got an undeserved leveller right on half-time when Ruben Lameiras’ piledriver crashed against the crossbar.

Plymouth started the second half on the front foot with Antoni Sarcevic testing Ryan Allsop at his near post on 50 minutes.

Akinfenwa came close to making it two a minute later, rising above Letheren to meet Jacobson’s free kick but the ball went just wide.

Letheren was called into action again, smothering Akinfenwa’s attempt on 54 minutes before the excellent Jason Mccarthy saw his shot well held by the Pligrims keeper 30 seconds later.

Argyle keeper Letheren and Akinfenwa continued their duel with the Plymouth keeper once again denying the big striker from close range on 73 minutes.

Carey then went up the other end and his blistering strike went a few yards wide.

With time ticking down, the game got a little bit scrappy as the conditions worsened.

Wycombe were holding firm and were limiting Argyle to very few chances with the visitors trying to find a way through.

The final whistle was met with thunderous cheers and Wanderers climb to ninth in League One.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Jombati, El-Abd, Jacobson, Gape, Thompson, Bloomfield (sub: Bolton, 71), Freeman, Akinfenwa (sub: Samuel, 75), Cowan-Hall. Subs: Yates, Stewart, Bean, Kashket, Tyson.

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE: Letheren, Smith-Brown, Edwards, Canavan, Sawyer, Songo’o, Fox (sub: Taylor, 69), Sarcevic, Carey, Lameiras (sub: Jephcott, 85), Ladapo. Subs: Macey, Riley, Ainsworth, Wootton, Threlkeld.

REFEREE: Scott Oldham