Wycombe Wanderers' five match unbeaten run was ended with a 3-0 defeat to League One leaders Luton Town in a lively affair at Kenilworth Road.

James Collins and a brace from substitute George Moncur sealed the three points for the Hatters but Wycombe improved after the break to restrict Luton to very few chances.

Wycombe had the first half-chance of the game at Kenilworth Road on two minutes when Joe Jacobson’s corner found Adebayo Akinfenwa but his header was easily collected by James Shea.

It was a cracking atmosphere at Kenilworth and Luton started to knock the ball about well on the bobbly pitch.

Danny Hylton looked to ghost in at the near post on eight minutes from Jack Stacey’s cross but Sido Jombati denied him with an excellent block.

A minute later, Wycombe keeper Ryan Allsop looked to have been blocked going up for a cross with Hylton but referee Andy Davies didn’t give a foul.

From the resulting loose ball, Berry’s goalbound shot was magnificently blocked by Jacobson.

The Hatters were using Stacey very effectively on the right and his teasing, low cross on 14 minutes was expertly defended by Jason McCarthy with Collins lurking.

Mick Harford’s side were having the lions share of possession and Andrew Shinnie was next to have a shot on 17 minutes but his effort was well held by Allsop.

Allsop then produced a brilliant save on 22 minutes to deny Hylton after a wonderful pass by Shinnie played the striker in on goal.

Luton were in the ascendency now and Stacey’s fierce effort on 23 minutes was parried well by Allsop.

The Hatters then deservedly took the lead on 33 minutes when Collins got in front of El-Abd from Stacey’s excellent cross following a superb move.

Wycombe started the second half well, pushing higher up the pitch to counter Luton’s attacking threat.

The Blues had another half chance on 54 minutes. Nathan Tyson crossed in for Akinfenwa, who laid it off expertly to Matt Bloomfield but the midfielder couldn’t get his shot away.

Luton were nearly through for a second on 56 minutes when Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu was about to pull the trigger from 15 yards but Dominic Gape denied him with a sensational tackle.

Wanderers were certainly making a game of it but Luton still possessed some real danger.

On 63 minutes, Collins came so close to making it two as his delicious curler went inches over with Allsop struggling.

Wanderers were now having their best spell of the game approaching the final 10 minutes, with Akinfenwa beginning to get the better of the centre halves.

However, Luton grabbed a crucial second on 84 minutes when Jason Cummings' shot was well stopped by Allsop but Moncur tapped home the rebound.

Moncur then grabbed his second of the game three minutes later when he smartly stroked the ball into the corner after more good work from fellow substitute Cummings.

Akinfenwa almost grabbed a consolation in stoppage time when his header from Nick Freeman's cross was blocked on the line by Alan McCormack.

Wycombe now sit 10th in League One ahead of a trip to Barnsley next Saturday.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Jombati, El-Abd, Jacobson, Thompson, Gape, Bloomfield (sub: Freeman, 81), Cowan-Hall (sub: Bolton, 65), Akinfenwa, Tyson (sub: Kashket, 71). Subs: Yates, Stewart, Bean, Owens.

LUTON TOWN: Shea, Stacey, Bradley, Pearson, Justin, McCormack, Mpanzu, Berry (sub: Moncur, 72), Shinnie (sub: Sheehan, 88). Hylton (Cummings, 81), Collins. Subs: Isted, Potts, Baptiste, Thorne.

REFEREE: Andy Davies

ATTENDANCE: 10,072 (Wycombe 751)