Beaconsfield had an excellent afternoon at Oak Lodge Meadow, beating high-flying Royal Wootton Bassett 22-17 in the South West 1 East Division on Saturday.

The visitors, before kick off, were fifth place in the league with a useful points difference between them and Beaconsfield. This did not deter the home side who eventually triumphed, gaining themselves a win and the bonus point and lifting themselves up to sixth place behind the visitors with a competent display of attacking open rugby.

The game opened with a clash of heads between two Beaconsfield players requiring attention in the early few minutes.

After this the game was been played in the Wootton Bassett half and following pressure through the middle and the eventual breakdown the ball went out to the right for Alex Enright to go over in the corner 5-0. Aled Lewis was unlucky with the conversion hitting the crossbar from a tight angle.

When the two teams met early in November last year, the score went to Wootton Bassett 24-21

Play then moved back to the Beaconsfield 22 but all the previous play had been in the visitors end. Wootton Bassett put the pressure on the defence and after what seemed an endless amount of time they eventually went over 5-5.

Beaconsfield quickly replied and pushed the visitors deep back into their own half using the forwards to carry the ball, the backs were eager for possession but had to wait. Next, Lewis got the chance of a penalty kick just outside the 22 which was narrowly missed.

This first half had shown two equally matched sides with a war of attrition in the tackling from both sides keeping the score tight up to the half time. The first half finished with Wootton Bassett pushing into the home side's 22 for a line out. The ball was lost forward and Lewis had the chance to kick the ball out of danger.

Second half began with Enright getting his second try again on the right hand side easily running the ball over for 10-5. Beaconsfield attacking on the right pushed the visitors back into their 22, playing against the wind another penalty was missed and the pace of the game slowed.

Then Dru Labri got the ball on the left deep in his own half running right through for a convincing try close to the posts 15-5. An unfortunate move next for Lewis as he was about to take the conversion the wind blew the ball off the tee and he touched it allowing opposition players to come forward forcing him to kick it into touch.

This third try had livened up the game which had gone off the boil with 15 minutes left to play.

Beaconsfield's final try came from a forward move, Ken Kavanagh in possession slipped the ball inside to Lewis who went over on the right to seal the result. He then converted for 22-5.

Wootton Bassett quickly replied with a push over try in the right hand corner for 22-12, this game was indeed still alive. Still very much in the game, they got a third try in the dying minutes of play finishing up 22-17.

A very good result for Beaconsfield, next weekend they are home again, this time to Salisbury (3pm).