Flackwell Heath suffered a shock defeat in the quarter-final of the Bluefin Sports Supplementary Cup last Saturday at the hands of Hellenic League East side Wallingford Town FC.

Flackwell had been on a poor run prior to the fixture and looked to bounce back to winning ways and book their place in their second semi-final of the season.

The conditions were unlike anything any of the players had played in before. Gales blustering at 50-60mph looked to play havoc to the teams playing styles. The game started brightly. Watkins’ usual booming goal kicks were barely reaching the halfway line and at times the two Flackwell centre-halves were forced to head away.

Flackwell started poorly, not adapting to the conditions they were up against. Subsequently they were punished after five minutes when a low scuffed cross found its way across the reds six-yard box and Wallingford striker Charlie Silkstone slotted it home from two yards.

The conditions worsened and Flackwell were struggling to play out from the back due to the Wallingford high press. The visitors doubled their lead on 42 minutes. Picking up the pieces in midfield the Wallingford central midfielder played a pass in behind the Flackwell back four, Tyler Gregory tried to step by Silkstone was clean through and coolly finished past Watkins.

The second half kicked off and the tables had turned. Wallingford now playing into the wind and for the first 10 minutes of the second half, they were camped in their own half. Flackwell being patient moving the ball at a tempo.

The Reds made three quick substitutions in the second half bringing on Aaron Layne, Leuis Sinclair and Josh Samuels. Each of them making instant impacts and troubling the Wallingford defence. On 80 minutes Adam Thomas hit a good strike which came off the post and hit the back of the net.

However, Flackwell couldn't find that all-important leveller and they were dumped out.

On Monday, they bounced back to winning ways a superb 1-0 win over Reading City in the Hellenic Premier League Division.

The game started brightly as Josh Samuels attacked down the left-hand side, twisting the City fullback all over the place and bending a shot just wide of the far post.

The breakthrough for Flackwell came after 24 minutes. A free-kick was recycled by the reds and fell to the skipper Dan Bailey. He sorted his feet out and forced a smart save from the ‘keeper. This could only be parried back into the path of Bailey who didn’t make the same mistake twice and slotted it home.

The second half got underway and after 56 minutes former Flackwell player Lorenzo Medford forced Watkins into a superb save from point-blank range. A case of right place, right time for the Flackwell stopper. A good save nonetheless.

With 15 minutes plus stoppage time to go Flackwell were hanging on and defending for their lives. Reading City sensed that this could be a vital point or even three if they could conjure up some magic.

Flackwell defended well and ground out a very good result which saw them climb to twelfth in the Hellenic League. However, the Heathens fixture backlog is in their favour. Other teams have played

Flackwell’s next fixture sees them travel to Tuffley Rovers on Saturday (3pm) who are bidding for survival like Reading City.