Wycombe Wanderers' relegation worries deepened as they suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to play-off bound Charlton Athletic at Adams Park.

Charlton skipper Jason Pearce scored the only goal of the game on 34 minutes, slotting the ball home after Wycombe failed to clear their lines.

Overall, Wycombe probably shaded the game but Charlton were rock solid at the back.

Wycombe began the game on the front foot and had the first effort on goal after just 60 seconds when Adebayo Akinfenwa’s flick-on found Scott Kashket, who saw his shot well held by Dillon Phillips.

Charlton hit back strongly on two minutes when Igor Vetokele burst into the box but saw his shot superbly blocked by Ryan Allsop.

Wanderers looked lively early on, with Kashket looking in the mood after his superb goal against Portsmouth on Saturday.

The game was keenly contested but chances were fairly limited approaching the halfway mark in the first half, with the Chairboys still edging proceedings.

The Addicks looked a threat on the break and Allsop did well to deny Joe Aribo on 24 minutes after Vetokele showed his pace.

Akinfenwa was posing Charlton serious problems with his strength and after outmuscling two defenders, he turned and shot on 25 minutes but his effort sailed harmlessly over.

Charlton then took the lead on 34 minutes through Pearce after Wanderers struggled to get rid of the ball.

Wycombe were struggling to get in behind an organised Charlton rearguard. The Blues had one more half-chance before half-time when Nick Freeman’s teasing cross found Akinfenwa but his header looped over the bar.

Wanderers began the second half well and after good work from Akinfenwa and Alex Samuel, Dillon Phillips somehow kept out Kashket’s goalbound effort on 51 minutes.

The Chairboys had a huge shout for a penalty on 55 minutes when Akinfenwa’s volley appeared to strike the hand of a Charlton defender but referee Antony Coggins waved away the protests.

Gareth Ainsworth’s side were huffing and puffing but Charlton were holding firm at the back.

The game was mainly being played in the Charlton half but opportunities were still at a premium as the Blues hunted an equaliser.

Akinfenwa continued to have a titanic battle with the Charlton defence and he came close with a diving header from Jason McCarthy's cross on 78 minutes that Phillips saved well.

Phillips produced an even better save two minutes later when he tipped away Freeman's rocket which was destined for the corner.

The Addicks keeper was now proving to be a real thorn in the side of the Blues and he made a brilliant save to deny Akinfenwa then Adam El-Abd on 85 minutes.

Charlton nearly made the game safe on 87 minutes when Patrick Bauer's header was brilliantly saved with his legs by Allsop.

However, the Blues couldn't break down a dogged rearguard from Charlton and they have a huge game at Southend United on Saturday (3pm).

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, McCarthy, Jombati, El-Abd, Harriman, Freeman, Gape, Thompson, Kashket (sub: Cowan-Hall, 68), Akinfenwa, Samuel (sub: Frempah, 87). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Jacobson, Stewart, Bean, Owens.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC: Phillips, Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce, Purrington, Aribo, Cullen, Pratley, Lapslie (sub: Sarr, 83), Vetokele (sub: Parker, 87), Taylor. Subs: Maxwell, Reeves, Morgan, Solly, Williams.

REFEREE: Antony Coggins