Beaconsfield Town enjoyed a very respectable two games at Holloways Park this week, beating high-flying Weymouth 1-0 before drawing 1-1 with Merthyr on Tuesday evening in the Southern League Premier Division.

Fresh from two goals in the last home fixture, Louis Stead was again to the fore for the home side with shots from distance, drawing a tumbling save from Tom McHale in the 31st minute and sending a low drive flashing narrowly wide of the post ten minutes later. In between the ever-industrious Jon-Jo Bates wriggled free of the attentions of Jake McCarthy and whipped in a snap shot which flew just wide after good work from Charlie Losasso and Brendan Matthew.

The Rams then enjoyed their best spell of the second half possession though without really creating anything of note they managed to retain and recycle possession and took some of the pressure off the back four creating a chance for Reece Yorke from a Losasso corner but the big defender couldn’t direct has far post header on target.

At the other end, Ravan Constable was again called into action on 66 minutes deflecting away a fierce rising drive from Yemi Odubade with the merest brush of a fingertip.

Two minutes later The Rams were ahead. Mayo Balogun stepped in off his wing and after initially seeming to be in two minds he set off on a run which was halted when he was fouled 35 yards from goal. Losasso stepped up and fired in a customary dipping delivery which cleared the wall and headed for the centre of the goal where McHale, arms raised, waited to make a straightforward save. Whether the keeper changed his mind late on, between catching or palming away only he will know. What he actually did was allow the shot to pass through his hands and on into the back of the net.

With two minutes left, Weymouth were handed their route back to parity when Constable was adjudged to have brought down Odubade in the act of shooting over and Goodship stepped up to take the penalty. Constable offered the Bruce Grobbelaar spaghetti legs and prowled his line as Goodship stepped up and dragged his spot kick wide of the keeper's left hand post.

With their next attack Goodship played in Odubade who set himself, beat Constable with a cross shot that rebounded from the base of the post and was hacked away and The Rams held on and secured their league status for next season.

On Tuesday, Beaconsfield Town's run of victories came to an end at the hands of an industrious Merthyr side who took the lead late in the first half at Holloways Park and will feel unfortunate to concede Stead’s second half equaliser after the midfielders goal-bound effort took a deflection to completely wrong foot Lewis Webb in the visitors goal.

The strike cancelled out Ian Traylor’s 42nd minute opener for the visitors, the pacey striker pouncing on scraps after a challenge between Jerome Ecclestone and Ryan Prosser to rifle an effort past Constable from eight yards.

Beaconsfield now face Hartley Wintney away on Saturday (3pm).