Wycombe wrapped up their season with a pulsating 28-20 victory over local rivals Marlow in the Southern Counties North Division.

Marlow took the lead early but Matt Wardle replied with a superb try, which was converted by Freddie Roddick for a 7-5 lead.

The visitors then scored another try and more individual errors were hurting Wycombe and a yellow card for Toby Lane for playing the ball on the floor gave Marlow more good field position.

For the next ten minutes, Wycombe were forced to defend their line, Marlow threw everything at them but the defence didn’t buckle. Unfortunately just as Lane came back onto the pitch Wycombe were again reduced to 14 players when Wardle was yellow carded for a no arm tackle. Marlow decided to take the kick at goal and Freddie Lewis made no mistake 7-13.

Wycombe started the second half strongly and Roddick scored a wonderful team try, which he converted, after good work by Rob Johnson.

Wycombe were now back to 15 players but a knock-on in midfield gave Marlow a scrum on the halfway line. An excellent long pass in midfield put the Marlow winger away with the just returned Wardle to beat. His tackle was adjudged to be high and he received his second yellow card and consequently a red card. With Wardle being the last defender a penalty try was awarded 14-20.

However, an excellent break from Tom Boardman took play close to the line, a couple of carries from the forwards were unsuccessful so the ball was fed out to winger Harry Tanner who ran a great line to bundle his way over the line, Roddick made the kick 21-20.

Excellent hands at the kick off secured Wycombe possession and good continuity worked the ball up to the twenty-two. A great running line by Jake Banton looked like he had got in behind the defence but he just couldn’t hang on to the ball and the move broke down.

You wouldn’t know Wycombe were down to 14 men, and a fumbled kick into touch by the Marlow winger set up Wycombe’s next attack. A neat kick into the corner by Roddick was only sliced clear and gave the home team more good field position. With the lineout secured, second row Mike Fradgley carried the ball back into the forwards. The ball was moved out to the backs where another excellent line by Banton enabled him to score under the posts and Roddick made the kick to seal the win.