Wycombe Wanderers ended their season on a high note when they beat Fleetwood 1-0 at Adams Park to ensure their safety in League One.

Joe Jacobson scored the only goal of the game, direct from a corner on 75 minutes to end Wycombe's season on 53 points.

Wycombe made a very bright start to proceedings when Scott Kashket met Jason McCarthy’s delightful long pass on two minutes, lobbing Alex Cairns in the Fleetwood goal before the ball was cleared to safety.

Wanderers started the game on the front foot and were playing some neat, intricate football in the Fleetwood half.

The visitors were getting to grips with the contest in the changeable weather and a well-worked corner on 15 minutes presented a chance for Wes Burns but he blazed over from 12 yards.

Joey Barton’s side looked a threat going forward and Ashley Nadesan drove towards goal a minute later but saw his shot well stopped by Ryan Allsop.

Ashley Hunter was next to have a crack for Fleetwood on 20 minutes, seeing his shot brilliantly tipped over by Allsop.

Wycombe had chances of their own and Joe Jacobson’s wicked cross was met by Kashket on 25 minutes, who headed just over.

Jason McCarthy has scored a couple of sublime free kicks this season and he came close to adding to his collection, hitting the post from 25 yards on 31 minutes.

Wanderers were edging the game heading towards the break and came close to taking the lead on 45 minutes when the lively Kashket got in behind the Fleetwood defence but his low cross evaded everyone.

The Blues began the second half the better. Jacobson came close to scoring a contender for goal of the season on 48 minutes when he met McCarthy’s corner on the volley from 25 yards with a fearsome volley that Cairns did well to parry.

Fleetwood were beginning to get their passing game going and good work from Hunter found Paddy Madden 10 yards out on 57 minutes, with his header being saved well by Allsop but the linesman adjudged the striker offside.

A minute later, Madden had a golden chance to put the visitors ahead but he rifled his effort way over after good work by Nadesan.

Wanderers hit back when great work by Adebayo Akinfenwa and Kashket released Alex Samuel but Cairns smothered his effort on 59 minutes.

The game ebbed and flowed and Fleetwood were next to have an opportunity when Burns got in behind but saw his effort excellent blocked by Allsop on 65 minutes.

The visitors were getting closer and Madden nearly poked the ball home on 72 minutes but his shot went inches wide.

Jacobson then grabbed the only goal in bizarre circumstances, his corner sailing straight in with Cairns under maximum pressure.

Fleetwood still looked a danger going forward but Madden missed another superb chance on 82 minutes, dragging his meek strike way wide.

Barton's men would not go away and Madden was finding Allsop his nemesis with the Wycombe keeper pulling off a majestic save from his header on 84 minutes.

The game was becoming a battle with Wanderers looking organised in trying to keep a clean sheet.

Wanderers finish the season in 17th place with 53 points.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Allsop, Harriman, McCarthy, El-Abd, Jacobson, Bean (sub: Owens, 74), Gape, Bloomfield, Kashket (sub: Bolton, 62), Akinfenwa, Samuel (sub: Freeman, 90). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Stewart, Cowan-Hall, Frempah.

FLEETWOOD TOWN: Cairns, Coyle, Eastham, Husband, Burns (sub: Mooney, 90), Biggins (sub: Baggley, 83), Hunter, Sowerby, Wallace, Nadesan (sub: Southam-Hales, 83), Madden. Subs: Jones, Clarke, Hill, Smith.

REFEREE: Lee Swabey