Risborough Rangers completed a remarkable turn-around to their season with a 2-0 win over holders Maccabi London Lions in the Spartan South Midland League Division One Cup final.

The game was played at a frantic pace throughout. The first chance fell to Lions with a header just wide. Rangers had chances for Martin Griggs, Ben Hammond and Ben Cullen before they took the lead in the 18th minute. The ball was worked down the Rangers right before Griggs helped it on beyond the Lions defence. Sam Pekun raced through, took one touch and slid the ball into the far corner for his fourth goal in three games.

Two minutes later and Rangers should have made it two, Alfie Touceda heading over with the goal at his mercy. Cullen and Griggs then combined well to enable Griggs to shoot low and hard, producing a good save from the Lions keeper. With six minutes to the break, Griggs beat his man to set up Pekun who blazed over from ten yards. London Lions finished the half with a series of corners with Jack Brooker saving well from ten yards and Justin Gordon blocking a goal-bound shot, but for the most part Rangers had it under control with Steve Nott-McCaire, in his final game before retirement, and skipper Joel Read, in superb form in the heart of a determined Rangers defence.

The second half started with Pekun continuing to torment his opposing full back and it was only three minutes old when he raced past him again. He then beat a covering defender, before cutting the ball back to Touceda eight yards from goal. Touceda hit his shot well and produced a quite stunning stop from the Lions goalkeeper, but the ball dropped to Cullen who slammed it home from six yards to make it two nil.

The next ten minutes saw Lions pressing with Rangers limiting them to long range efforts. The pace was still a very frantic and it was a robust, physical affair. If it hadn't been for an excellent performance from the referee, Jorden Gibson and his assistants, it could have easily gotten out of control. Pekun continued to worry the Lions defence and twice he raced through on goal; forcing a good save at his feet and then scuffing his shot wide.

On 70 minutes Pekun again beat his man to cross for Griggs, who volleyed just over. Five minutes later and Lions capitalized on an error in the Rangers back four and the shot almost caught out Brooker as it went just wide. As the game entered its final five minutes Hammond did well to block a header on the line as Lions threatened. At the other end Griggs shot from 25 yards flashed wide before, deep in injury time Lions forced a corner. As the ball dropped into the Rangers area there was a mad moment that resembled pin-ball as both sides hacked at it, whilst the large Rangers following in an attendance of 170 held their collective breath. Somehow the ball stayed out of the net and that proved to be the last chance as Rangers lifted the trophy.