Holmer Green suffered a narrow defeat in the Wycombe Senior Cup final, losing 1-0 to Bucks rivals Aston Clinton.

Aston Clinton retained the trophy they won twelve months ago on Tuesday night at the Alfred Davis Memorial Ground, home of Marlow FC.

Holmer started the better but as the first half wore on Clinton found their feet and got the crucial goal which they had to defend for long periods of the second half, they had chances on the counter after the break to seal the game which were spurned but they held on to complete another successful season for the Spartan South Midlands Division Two side.

The team in green had the ball in the back of the net within 90 seconds of kick off when a corner was cleared as far as Curtis Stone who looped it back into Dan Wilson where from ten yards he headed home but quite clearly from an offside position.

Aston won a couple of quick succession corners which Taylor Collins curled right down the throat of Holmer custodian Aaron Brown, the first he had to tip over his own crossbar to avoid it going in, the second headed back out to the midfielder whose third attempt then revealed blue shirts in an offside position despite Mitchell Collins heading over.

On 29 minutes came the winner, corner taker Collins curled in from the right which eluded those at the front post and as Sam Austin approached to attack the keeper stuck his arm up to try and push over however the ball nestled inside the top corner.

An early second half move by Holmer broke down deep in the Aston half allowing Elias Williams to bring the ball away and a perfectly weighted pass with the outside of the boot sent Ash Clark through the heart of the defence where from the edge of the penalty arc he blazed over the bar.

Two goal mouth scrambles were cleared by the Aston defence before another move saw a clearance up to substitute Chris Stapleton on the halfway line, he turned to thread through the full back and centre half for Clark to race away again but upon reaching the box he unselfishly tried to square to Brown but a defender cleared.

Some great defending at the opposite end saw a lob over the top for Pawel Kotwica to chase down but Austin positioned himself between the front man and the ball to shield out of play.

Another lightning quick move saw Stapleton released down the right wing where his pace took him past his marker and, reaching the eighteen yard line, he laid into the path of Taylor Collins whose low drive was brilliantly pushed away by Brown single handed.

Five minutes into added time with Clinton wasting time in the corner, Holmer skipper Gary Lines slid in to bring down Stapleton to earn his second yellow and subsequent red card with the final whistle sounding just moments later.