BEACONSFIELD got the new season under way in South West One East on Saturday with a good 34-28 win against a Trowbridge side which had beaten them twice in the last campaign.

The home team went ahead inside the first few minutes at Oak Lodge Meadow thanks to a well-taken penalty kick from scrum half Aled Lewis.

The hosts followed up with a move on the left from a scrum and number 13, Henry Reville, went over for the first try. Lewis added the conversion and the score went to 10-0.

Beaconsfield further increased their lead midway through the first half as the ball was passed from a scrum on the right across field to be touched down just inside the post on the left from outside half Cameron Baker.

The home team then had to withstand some sustained pressure in their own 22 and the referee decided on a penalty try in favour of Trowbridge, taking the score to 15-7.

The visitors scored a second try to reduce the deficit to a single point, before another excellent penalty from Lewis gave the hosts an 18-14 lead heading into the break.

Beaconsfield bagged another score originating from the forwards on the right at the start to the second half. An excellent move from Matt Brown to go over and extend the advantage to 23-14.

Trowbridge claimed a third try with a surge of support from the forwards midway through the second period.

The home side then upped the play and a further penalty kick expertly placed by Lewis increased the lead to five points at 26-21.

The hosts played some of their best loose play to get the ball within five metres of the Trowbridge line. The ball moved from left to right with Reville finally going over with 10 minutes still to play.

The final points for Beaconsfield was from Lewis just inside the Trowbridge half, a long ball taking the score to 34-21.

The referee had the final say when he awarded the visitors a penalty try in the dying moments to end the game at 34-28.

Beaconsfield travel to Wimborne for their second game of the new season this Saturday (3pm).