BEACONSFIELD suffered a first defeat in the South West One East this season when losing 31-17 at Wimborne on Saturday.

The visitors suffered a blow early on when captain Sean Morgan went into a difficult tackle which resulted in an ankle injury and him having to be transported from the pitch in an ambulance.

Morgan is an influential captain and always leading from the front. The injury he sustained stopped play for 35 minutes and disrupted the atmosphere at the match.

Wimborne came out on the attack when play resumed and took the lead with a penalty kick, before their winger scored with an unconverted try on the right.

The home team continued to press and touched down again, using their big forwards to pressure the Beaconsfield defence.

Beaconsfield then took their opportunity from a scrum with Aled Lewis passing the ball to Ryan Morgan to go under the post, closing the gap to 13-7.

Wimborne, knowing that they had the ability to use the right wing effectively, again sent the forwards through on the right for the next try in the corner, with the conversion taking the score to 20-7.

A sustained period of pressure five metres out from the home team’s line and a yellow card given to a Wimborne forward saw Dru Labri go over for his try 20-12.

This was quickly evened out with another penalty right in front of the visitor’s post.

Beaconsfield had battled back after the early shock but the home team’s forwards had been allowed to do all the first half damage.

The second half then brought an early penalty attempt for Aled just inside the Wimborne half, but unfortunately fell just short of the posts.

The next try came from a good run from the right winger who evaded a couple of tackles to eventually go over.

Prop Ben Baylis, from a well supported position, went over on the left for his try. Then, after a breakdown near the visitor’s posts, the referee reversed his decision awarding a penalty to the home side which was hard to miss 31-17.

In the last bit of play, Labri got down the left hand side to within metres of the line and passed the ball into play, but the referee deemed it out leaving Beaconsfield to end game pressurising Wimborne close to their line.

Beaconsfield host Banbury this Saturday (3pm).