Wycombe remain on top of League One after Joe Jacobson’s last-minute penalty gave the Chairboys victory over 10-man Doncaster.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men went into the match off the back of a frustrating FA Cup first round defeat to Tranmere during the week, and it looked like it was going to be another a second consecutive disappointing result at Adams Park.

In a first half with very few chances, Wycombe dominated possession from the outset with Curtis Thompson causing havoc on the wing, with one of his crosses reaching Alex Samuel, but the 24-year-old saw his effort from 10 yards just go past Seny Dieng’s goal.

Wycombe continued to show why they are favourites to go up this season as Samuel continued to cause the Doncaster defence problems, but again, his shot, this time from 18-yards, just went wide.

But it was the second half when the game came alive as Doncaster were reduced to 10-men minutes after the restart.

Tom Anderson, who had two half-chances in the opening 45 minutes, committed an awful challenge on skipper Matt Bloomfield in the centre circle, which left the 35-year-old to have lengthy treatment.

Thankfully, Bloomfield got up and carried on, but was substituted moments later.

Despite being a man light, Doncaster started to apply the pressure onto the league leaders as Donervan Daniels, who came on moments after the visitors were reduced to 10 players, saw his looping header from a James Coppinger cross hit the bar.

It looked like Wycombe were going to draw a blank for only the fourth time in the league this season, whilst Doncaster looked like they were going to get only their fourth clean sheet of this league campaign, as both sides defended well.

Ainsworth knew something had to change so he opted to bring on both Adebayo Akinfenwa and Rolando Aarons, and it was the former who played a huge part in Wycombe’s winner.

In the 90th minute, a huge goalmouth scrambled occurred in the Doncaster box and after the ball was knocked up in the air, the former Wimbledon, Northampton and Gillingham man was bundled over by substitute Daniels, with referee Michael Salisbury having no option but to point to the spot.

In total, Jacobson had to wait just under four minutes for the penalty to be taken as Daniels received treatment, but this didn’t faze the left-back, as the 33-year-old stepped up and slotted down the middle, sending Dieng the wrong way.

The victory means Wycombe stay top and face second placed Ipswich on Tuesday night, whilst Doncaster drop to 13th.