CHESHAM United were knocked off top spot in the BetVictor Southern Premier South after a 2-1 defeat at Metropolitan Police on Saturday.

The Generals had been unbeaten in their six previous league matches and not tasted defeat since the loss at Gosport Borough back in October.

But, their failure to secure points at Imber Court, plus a win for new leaders Truro City at Beaconsfield Town, mean their positions in the table have been reversed.

Chesham were unfortunate not to break the deadlock inside 17 minutes as Zak Joseph fooled the home defence from a free-kick in a dangerous position.

His neat pass found Karl Oliyide, who rounded keeper Rhys Forster, but Lucas Ness got back to hook the ball off the line.

The Generals were gifted the chance to open the scoring on the hour mark when Daniel Akinwunmi brought down Oliyide inside the box as he was about to shoot.

Bradley Clayton took the resulting spot-kick but saw his effort bounce to safety off the legs of keeper Forster.

TWEET: Dernell Wynter taps in from a Karl Oliyide cross to give Chesham United the lead in their 2-0 win against Banbury United on Tuesday night.

Met Police made the visitors pay for that miss two minutes later as a cross from Kai Hamilton was not dealt with and Tyrique Clarke netted the loose ball to give them the lead.

Chesham fought their way back into the match and equalised with five minutes remaining. Joseph was denied with a block on the line but Sam Jenkins got to the loose ball and fired into the net from out on the right.

The home team secured all three points in the third minute of stoppage time as substitute Oliver Knight shot past Ben Goode for a dramatic late winner.

The defeat leaves Chesham in second position in the table and a point behind leaders Truro, who have played a game less than The Generals, ahead of a visit to The Meadow from Poole Town this Saturday (3pm).

Chesham continue to make progress in the Southern League Challenge Cup after a 2-0 win against Banbury United on Tuesday night.

The Generals took the lead in the third round tie at The Meadow when Dernell Wynter tapped in from a Oliyide cross in the 32nd minute.

The home team doubled their advantage three minutes later as a brilliant cross from Ronny Mfinda allowed Oliyide to tap in his second goal.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Beaconsfield Town and manager Gary Meakin are now seven points from safety at the bottom of the league table after a 1-0 defeat against Truro City on Saturday.

Beaconsfield are now eight matches without a win in the league following their 1-0 defeat against Truro last weekend.

The Rams were unfortunate not to break the deadlock early on at Holloways Park as keeper James Hamon was forced into a world class save, diving to push away a free-kick, before having to parry away another threatening shot.

Truro scored the only goal in the game when Niall Thompson charged onto a long ball and, despite pressure from a defender, manage to set up Alex Battle for a first time shot that flew into the top corner before half-time.

Beaconsfield remain bottom of the table and now seven points from safety ahead of a trip to fifth-in-the-table Taunton Town this Saturday (3pm).