CHESHAM United returned to winning form in the BetVictor Southern Premier South after a 2-1 victory against Poole Town on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

The Generals suffered a first league defeat in seven matches at Metropolitan Police the previous weekend but have put that behind them to remain in second position in the table.

Poole broke the deadlock at The Meadow when Jack Dickson set up Harry Baker to slot the ball past advancing keeper Ben Goode after 28 minutes.

The home side levelled the scores with a finely-taken goal three minutes before the break. Karl Oliyide found Dave Pearce on the left and the man-of-the-match worked the ball onto his right foot before beating keeper Mark Childs with a superb chip into the far corner of the net.

Chesham secured all three points with a fine team goal in the 57th minute. A through ball from Jeanmal Prosper sent Bradley Clayton away down the right. His cross was headed against the crossbar by Eoin Casey but Karl Oliyide chested the ball down and hooked it into the net from close range.

The Generals held on to secure a ninth win in 10 home league matches and remain a single point behind leaders Truro City ahead of a crunch match at third-placed Tiverton Town this Saturday (3pm).

Beaconsfield Town remain rooted to the foot of the table and seven points from safety after a 3-0 defeat at Taunton Town last weekend.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Dave Pearce scored and was named the man-of-the-match as Chesham United beat Poole Town on Saturday.

Taunton broke the deadlock at The Cygnet Health Care Stadium when Jordan Ajanlekoko inadvertently diverted a through ball from Ryan Brett into the path of captain Matthew Wright. The ball sat up invitingly and the target man hit a first time shot into the top corner from 20-yards before the break.

The home team doubled their advantage in the second half as Myles Bowman hesitated and allowed Andrew Neal to get to the ball first. The keeper got a shoulder to the shot and the ball looped up into the air and struck the foot of the post, rebounding kindly for Neal to steady himself and shot past Ajanlekoko on the line.

Taunton made sure of the points when Luke Neville misjudged the flight of the ball and allowed it to bounce over him. Neal sprinted through and lifted a simple lob over the stranded Bowman for his second goal in the match.

The hosts were unfortunate not to score a fourth goal late on as a shot beat Bowman and hit both posts before the ball was cleared to safety.

Beaconsfield are now nine league matches without a win and make the trip to fifth-from-bottom Blackfield and Langley this Saturday (3pm).

Marlow ended a run of four consecutive draws in the BetVictor South Central Division after a 1-0 win against Hertford Town on Saturday.

A goal in the second half from Nnamdi Nwachuku was the difference between the two sides at Oak Tree Road.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Karl Oliyide scored the second goal for Chesham at The Meadow on Saturday.

The win means The Blues remain in 12th position in the league table ahead of a trip to Northwood this Saturday (3pm).

Chalfont St Peter suffered a third straight defeat in the league following their 4-0 loss at Westfield.

A goal from Matt Steer plus a Elijah Simpson penalty kick gave Westfield a clear lead heading into the break at Woking Park, with further goals in the second half from Gregory Haydon and Charlie Postance.

The Saints remain in 10th position in the table despite the defeat and return to Mill Meadow for the visit of Waltham Abbey this Saturday (3pm).