SINGH Sabha made a disappointing start to the New Year after a 2-2 draw at FC Beaconsfield in the East Berkshire League Premier Division on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

Both sides went at it late on in an attempt to bag a winning goal but the game ended with the scores level, which results in neither team progressing up the league table.

Sabha made the trip into Bucks on the back of two wins in cup matches in late 2019 but the league is becoming a bit of a problem for them and they knew a win was a must to keep in touch with the sides above them.

Beaconsfield dominated early on but the visitors broke the deadlock after wonderful link-up play from the Hunjan brothers. Sukh played in Harinder with a great 30-yard pass and he broke clear to coolly slot the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net.

The home team responded and bagged a deserved equaliser late in the first half. The Sabha defence switched off and a striker bundled the ball home from close range.

Beaconsfield made the stronger start to the second half and Singh Sabha had keeper Andrei Tonca to thank after he made several good saves to deny the hosts a lead.

The home side eventually got their noses in front midway through the second period when the Sabha defence switched off again and a striker sneaked in at the back post to fire in.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Sukh Hunjan starred for Singh Sabha in the draw at FC Beaconsfield on Saturday.

The visitors regrouped and it was not long before they levelled the scores as Mubarak Bashir got the goal he deserved. A poor Beaconsfield clearance landed at his feet and he fired in from 25-yards with the keeper stranded.

Singh Sabha were unfortunate not to secure the points late on when substitute Jameel Ahmed headed onto the post from a Sukh Hunjan corner kick.

Sabha turn their attention to the Maidenhead Norfolkian Senior Cup and a home semi-final against Premier Division rivals KS Gryf this Saturday.

  • SINGH Sabha Sunday continued with their good cup form this season after a comfortable 5-2 win at AFC Phoenix in the Ken Gomm Challenge Cup.

Sabha were able to rotate their team with Lewis Gratton and Hasan Hussain starting for the first time since September, with Umar Riaz featuring for the first time this season.

The visitors started well and took the lead when Gratton scored with a powerful strike having been found from a Amarjit Chand long throw.

Phoenix never gave up and were causing problems for the opposition defence, equalising as keeper Hussain had a moment to forget. He was caught on the ball and allowed a striker to steal possession and score.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Umar Riaz, left, made his first appearance for the Singh Sabha Sunday team and had an immediate impact in the win at AFC Phoenix.

Hussain soon made amends as his drop-kick pass brilliantly found Gratton to race clear and lob the ball over the onrushing Phoenix stopper.

Singh Sabha scored the goal of the game moments later with some brilliant football involving Jovan Bains, Hasan Mahmood and Riaz. Former Windsor star Riaz crossed for Bains to fire home from close range, all in a one-two pass movement.

Phoenix did not stop and pulled a goal back just before half-time with a header from a free-kick. Despite some hints of offside the goal was given.

Sabha had a great chance to score again in the second half but substitute Andrei Tonca has a contender for miss of the season. Mahmood crossed the ball for Tonca but, with the goal gaping, he shot over the bar from just a few yards out.

Tonca however made amends moments later as he got on the scoresheet with a similar finish to the effort he missed with, finishing from close range on his left foot after being picked out by Riaz.

Singh Sabha secured their spot in the quarter-final as Tonca turned provider for man-of-the-match Mubarak Bashir to bag his first goal for the Sunday team.

Singh Sabha turn their attention to the Roy Lester Cup and a home tie against FC Beaconsfield in round two this Sunday (10.30am).